Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drupmcp

Suggestions on mailing fig cuttings

drupmcp
11 years ago

I'm new to figs. Last year we bought figs from Trader Joe's and the whole family loved them. So, I want to grow a few. I'm going to buy two or three trees online, still haven't decided from where (another story), but I also want to grow some from cuttings. I have found directions everywhere on growing fig cuttings (which I have done with other plants and trees), but I haven't really found directions on the best way to cut and mail them. I have new neighbors from Brooklyn, NY. They also want to grow figs and are new to gardening. So, I want my new neighbor's friends to mail the cuttings, and then I'll grow the cuttings and share the successes.

My questions are: Is it too late to cut and mail cuttings (from NY to MI)? When is too late (when buds start to swell)? What is the best length of cutting for figs, and how should they be packaged for mailing? I've grown many cuttings, just never mailed any or received any in the mail. Sorry if this has been covered, just couldn't find anything answering my questions.

Thank you very much with your help.
-Dru

Comments (3)