Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

best fig for a first time try

queensinfo
10 years ago

I have an open container as one of my other plants died. I was thinking about trying a fig as they seem to be quick growing, quick to fruit, and tolerable of gower error.

Any suggestions for one to start with? I am looking for quick time to fruit, good fruit, and easy to grow. Will winter in an unheated garage with no windows. This will be a container plant.

Comments (3)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    10 years ago

Growing figs in large containers and over-wintering them in an unheated garage will be easy, and is usually, very rewarding. Figs are about the only "instant' fruit trees that I can think of that are so easy. You'll get a lot of bang for the buck with the right varieties of figs.

Make sure you buy short-season varieties. Late season, "designer"-type figs are worthless if they need plenty of extra heat, and, long, dryish summers to properly ripen. That's not going to happen in in Zone-7/NYC.

Try, "Bensonhurst Purple"-"Hardy Chicago"... Sal's EL..."Atreano"-Belleclare...any Mt. Etna/Sicilian figs...."Black Mission"..."Dark Portuguese;..."Bethlehem Black" and local, hardy fig varieties, that have great tasting figs that will ripen in our short-Summer area. Cut your losses and pick the right fig for your area. Try buying the oldest, largest, trees that you can afford, for some instant gratification.

Any of the above mentioned trees will give you great fruit within a few growing seasons, if you have to wait that long.

Have fun growing and harvesting.

Frank

(PS: You got mail).

• tomtuxman
    10 years ago

Hi Frank,

Since you appear to understand the metro environment, may I ask if the Hardy Chicago/Bensonhurst Purple is OK for the mid-Hudson Valley where I live?

The initial poster here enquired re overwintering in unheated windowless garage. If I had one of these (HC/BP) in container, would unheated enclosed front porch that gets ample sun over the winter months be OK, or would that subject a container plant to too many ups and downs temp-wise? Is semi-dark winter environment the way to go?

Any advice much appreciated.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    10 years ago

tomtuxman:

The key is keeping your containerized fig tree dormant as long as possible until the spring weather will support the new sprouting growth without damages. Temps in the low 40s should do it. Temps. going into the 50s will push premature bud breaking, and the new soft tissue could be damaged by plunging temps.

Your unheated front porch sounds OK...as long as the temps stay very cool. When trees are dormant, light will matter very little. But trees can also be in the "quiescent" stage, and strong light and warmer temps will trigger a growth response. When dormant, little happens....when quiescent, trees are ready for breaking buds. Just try to keep the trees as cool as possible, for as long as possible. Also, keep the soil hydrated, and not bone dry. Damp is good, dust dry is not.

In early spring (March-April) when the warmer temps hit the trees in your enclosed front porch, new growth will commence. Give the trees full sun, or, as much light as possible. Better yet, bring trees outside during the day, and back in at night - (the fig shuffle) - to prevent damage to new, breaking buds. If weather stays warm, get your trees outside as soon as possible. They need the full sun, or growth will be weak, and easily damaged. This "fig shuffle" is a cross we must bear when growing in colder climates.

The "Bensonhurst Purple" - "Chicago Hardy" - "Hardy Chicago" will do well, with proper care. Sal's EL is reputed to be very hardy also. Don't be fooled by that "hardy" qualifier....figs come from the Mediterranean climates, and in cold climate areas, can be damaged, if not killed, by adverse conditions, especially when grown in containers. Sustained, below freezing temps can damage any fig tree. Fig trees must be properly treated BEFORE dormancy, so they can survive the near/below-freezing temperatures even if protected, and in a storage area. Culture is everything. No fertilizers after mid July, or you'll push soft growth too late in the season. Soft, juicy wood, before dormancy = damaged growth from low temps.

That said, your front porch sounds OK for overwintering containerized fig trees....with precautions, and observations.

I hope this helps. You can do it.

Frank

This post was edited by BronxFigs on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 7:23