Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Clonex Red Gel For Hardwood Cuttings

dieseler
15 years ago

I just recieved the clonex red gel, from a little research its suppose to feed the roots when developing thru to repotting also and help them along the way, will experiment with a few ucdavis cuttings when they arrive, i might try some others also i have in near future and will post some results, i usually use the baggie method and even tried the water method in past as well, so im curious how this stuff will do, here is a picture of it.

{{gwi:752701}}

Martin

Comments (8)

• dieseler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm experimenting with this clonex red gel. I had bought a 5 gallon VDB from edible landscaping this past fall and it arrived in dormant state no leaves just a good size bush form plant which i make into a tree form this season. Anyways i cut the branches from the bottom they are little thinner than a pencil as i did not want to cut the 2 main branches. I poured the gel into a shot glass and tilted it with stick inside to apply, 1 small stick about 5 1/2 inches long i put in baggie and misted with tap water , the other 2 sticks are 9 an 10 1/2 inches long went into Fertilome Upm mixed with perlite and covered with plastic bottles. They are in warm laundry room on the windowsill facing north which there is no direct sun but room is light. Below is some pictures, its just a fun experiment to see what happens until the ucdavis cuttings arrive then i decide what to do with the new sticks.
    Best Health
    {{gwi:752703}}
    {{gwi:752705}}
    {{gwi:752707}}
    {{gwi:752709}}

• pezzuti9
    15 years ago

Martin, Can you share your source for the Clonex red gel.
    Thanks
    Lou

• dieseler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure Lou,

http://www.homeharvest.com/cutstrtrootagents.htm

i really am new to this stuff Lou so i dont know if it works or not. I bought the smallest bottle here is the order number as there are several different types .
    Order #CLOR50ML
    Clonex Red
    Rooting Hormone Gel
    50ml
    Lou if by chance you decide to try it the smallest bottle will fill up a shot glass full to top this is an estimate of 50ml size which is plenty for a whole bunch of sticks to try.
    I dont advocate this stuff to work im just trying it for experimental purpose.
    Best Luck
    Martin

• pezzuti9
    15 years ago

Hi Martin,
    Thank you for sharing.
    If I do purchase and use it I will post the results here.
    Lou

• dieseler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I weighed the 2 cups with the sticks and wrote down what total weight originally was, 1 cup with slightly taller stick weighs 383 grams on a digital scale and the other cup weighs 368 grams. In laundry room each day around same time i weigh and last 2 days they have lost right between 9 and 10 grams of weight each day due to the water evaporating some.
    I guess for my curiosity i'll put them on scale each day. If i see any roots in cups or the one baggie in future i will update here.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update, the baggie with stick was tossed it did nothing.
    The larger of the 2 cups took about 24 days to do this, small roots i just saw today. Nothing spectacular i suppose compared to other methods. According to clonex site there gel once plant roots somehow feeds the new formed roots i dont know how that works . Here are some pictures. You can see the roots above the letter D on cup.
    Matin
    {{gwi:752712}}
    {{gwi:752714}}

• dieseler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My last update with pictures,i'm happy after 28 days from cutting some sticks and useing the rooting gel, there doing ok in the cups, in one the roots have reached bottom of 6 inch cup. I also did another type in similar way santa cruz dark. Personally i like this way better than rooting in a baggie for me i dont have to then transplant to cups. From here on in when i root a plant it will just be in a small pot so then it will cut down on the transplanting i have to do its easier for me and i really dont have to see the roots develop in plastic cup, it either grows or it does not. I have gel left so if i root anything in near future i will probably just use it.
    I did weigh the cups also this morning and small cup is 210 grams and large one 227 grams. So thats it i just monitor them as im done with the up dates. ; )
    Best Health
    Martin
    {{gwi:752717}}
    {{gwi:752721}}

• thearabicstudent
    15 years ago

So you bury the sticks in DQ Blizzards and they grow? So that's the secret!

Sponsored
JB Design & Remodeling, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Custom Home Builders for Everyday Living in Virginia Beach