Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janoyan

Fig Leaf Tea

janoyan
14 years ago

I dehydrated fig leaves last October, put them in zip lock bags and placed them in a cool dark place. Then as needed I fill a glass jar with the leaves for present daily use, as in the photo. In a tea pot I put about one cup of the leaves and add boiling water. Let it steep for no less than 20 minutes.

After my first cup of a wonderful and nutty tea I add more boiling water to the pot in use and let it sit for another 30 minutes. This I turn into ice tea , which will fill two glass jars from the full pot, as in the picture.

Look up on Google or the Forum for all the health benefits of fig leaf tea. It will make a "regular" person out of you, for one.

Try it next season, you will be glad you did.

Janoyan.

Comments (22)

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Let me be the First to congratulate you on the Great Job of posting photos.....I don't care who's method you used.

Way to go......Thanks
    Cecil

• janoyan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It was your system, Cecil. Equal thanks must go to my better half, without whom I will be totally lost in front of my computer.
    Thanks again.
    Janoyan

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Janoyan,

I might add, I see you used photobucket, if you delete the above photo in photobucket it will also delete it from this Forum

Cecil

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Hi Janoyan,
    thanks for posting that recipe as it got me thinking now.
    The misses does not like figs but she will drink tea perhaps one day i try this and slip her some just to watch the laxative effect. ; )
    Best Health
    Martin

• janoyan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Martin:
    You must be a very brave man. Just hope she never looks up or reads what is posted on this forun.
    Janoyan

• genecolin
    14 years ago

Very funny Martin, that is until she finds out.

"gene"

• smittee
    14 years ago

WOW, THAT sounds really yummy. My trees [under 8"] are to small to save leaves now, but I am hoping by fall, I can selectivly save some leaves too dry for tea. I LOVE TEA THANKS FOR SHARING

• janoyan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi smittee and all:
    To dehydrate fig leaves please stay close to your unit while it is operating.Especially if it is an old one. I learned last year with my old unit that it could be real serious. It started to smoke and melted some of the plastic. I turned it off just in time before a fire. The manufacturer's response was; "If you had read the instructions you would have known, never to leave the dehydrated unattended while it is working" . My new unit has the electrical parts or motor on top of the unit instead of it being at the bottom, as in older units.
    Please do not let this discourage you. Tea leaf tea is great. Enjoy it while being safe at the same time.
    Best,
    Janoyan

• wildforager
    14 years ago

I've made the fig leaf tea, I like it. I think it kind of tastes like coconut. I'm saving my fig leaves from now on. I don't use a dehydrator I just spread them out on a flat basket and keep them in a shady place in the house. Thanks for sharing your experience.

-Little John

• falkhalili_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for this recipe. I knew all the health benefits of eating the fruit, but have always wondered what else one's health can benefit from Figs, and here I found an answer. The question is; isn't it better to use green leaves in season, and save dry leaves for off season?

I have a secret to share here; In the Quran, the Muslim holy book, there is a full chapter called "The Figs" and in this chapter "Figs and Olives" are connected to long life. I have used Boiled Olive leaves to make a cold drink, which I use (unsweetened) before meals to lower my Diabetes blood sugar to normal levels, without taking any medication or insulin.

Thank you again for the Fig tea.

• wildforager
    12 years ago

I've found that by saving the leaves that naturally fall off at the end of the year I make a better tea. The yellow leaves have less latex inside them. As far as fresh or dried, the answer is dried. The reason is that by drying the plant material you make the cell wall more fragile and then you can extract more nutrients when you brew your tea. Also, Olive leaves are used medicinally to boost the immune system. Good to hear another use... thanks falkhalili.

Peace, Little John

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

I was going to try it until I read this!

"slip her some just to watch the laxative effect."

I don't need a laxative effect! :)

• janoyan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Wertch 7 SC:

Please don't let that phrase "laxative effect" spoil it for you. It is not like that at all.

Once you have given it a chance you will see how enjoyable this tea is.

I now incorporate it with lemon grass tea - equal amounts -that I have an abundance of . The combination is wonderful.
    Regards,

Janoyan

• genecolin
    12 years ago

Little John,
    My thoughts on which leaves to use would be not to use those that yellow or dry naturally because these leaves don't look healthy. Some are covered with rust or mold spots. I would think that healthy mature leaves taken during the summer and dried would be a better choice. Nothing scientific behind my thinking, just my thoughts.
    "gene"

• genecolin
    12 years ago

I'll keep my eyes open late in the year and give them a try. Meanwhile I'll dry a few and give then a try next to some green leave tea.
    "gene"

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

janoyan

"Please don't let that phrase "laxative effect" spoil it for you. It is not like that at all."

I finally tried it. With caution, because I have Diverticulitis. I actually think it has helped me!

Time will tell!

• rjcantor
    12 years ago

How much leaf for a cup of water?

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

rcantor, I really don't know how much it should be, so I wing it and it turns out good.

I crush up 3 big dried leaves and put them in a coffee filter. I put it in my coffee maker and add 12 cups of water,a pot full.

I like mine cold, so I sweeten it with Splenda and put it in the fridge till its cold.

It is tasty! If I don't drink it all after 2 days, I make new, because it loses some flavor.

I also put some in a jar with water on my candle heater and it smells so good! Plus I don't have wax polluting the air and causing extra dust! My GF is a candle freak, but she likes the fig scents!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

It tastes so good, and as wildforager said, "I've found that by saving the leaves that naturally fall off at the end of the year I make a better tea."

It does seem to help my umm "problems"! LOL They cut down on the gas and bloating much better than anything I've tried.

The ones that I picked green and dried didn't taste as good and didn't help my "problems" as much as the naturally drying ones.

I will pick every leaf off of my tree this year!

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

How about if I boil green leaves it should work the same I guess i am going to try it and see how it tasts

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I used green fig leaves. It really made a nice dreen tea. It had the color and taste like green tea.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living