Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig cutting fiasaco

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 16:16

Well I ordered green and purple cuttings from a guy in Turkey and surprisingly they came thru the mail just fine. I put them in pots to root and covered them up with a plastic bag. It's been two weeeks and I just checked them- they have rooted! I can see only one root but they are very firm in the mix. Now the rub- I see that I turned one upside down and it has rooted anyway. Should I bite the bullet and take it out and re-root it or just leave it alone? There is actually an root growing out of the upright bottom so I guess it will still root. Help me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig cutting fiasaco

I've done that before. What I did with mine was to place it horizontally in some new rooting mix within a plastic clam shell container. By planting horizontally, you can save the roots that have already formed. Two buds on that twig eventually sprouted for me producing a double headed fig tree which I later separated into two trees.

o

I recommend if you are going to flip it, to do it now. You might lose a couple roots in the process, but it's still early in the process and more will form. If you don't do it right away then you need to wait until the roots have hardened sufficiently that they won't break, maybe a month. After a month buds will probably have started to grow and will need to make a u turn. This is possible but not a 100% successful endeavor.

I like the horizontal option. Gives all the nodes the option of roots or shoots or both. Just put it under about an inch or half inch of potting soil, or whatever you are using for your planting mix. I couple months ago I had a cutting in sphagnum that was shooting and rooting on 3 nodes, so I put it horizontal. At first I doubted my decision, but now it has roots all over the place, the top node has a nice health shoot with a few leaves, and the middle shoot appears to be leafing out too.

o

Thanks, This is just what I have done- now just wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here