Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for panachee or green ischia fig cuttings

Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 16:32

I'm looking for a few cuttings from panachee(tiger) or green ischia figs. I posted in the CA forum but no one responded. I was hoping some one here can help out, but not sure if anyone still have any cuttings left. If you do and can spare I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Seng

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for panachee or green ischia fig cuttings

If you don't get any responses from anyone here, you can try www.figs4fun.com someone may have an extra cutting or rooted tree.

o

Some are being sold on eBay right now. The owner of figs4fun has some on eBay too.

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 12:26

Thanks you two, I will check out the mention sites.

o

This is a top rated seller with an excellent reputation on both eBay and The Garden Watchdog

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Ischia

o

Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 14:38

Do you know if they are tissue culture or cuttings? As tissue culture takes longer to bear fruit( I assume?) compare to cuttings.

o

I have never even heard of any business producing common fig trees to sell using tissue culture. Figs are so easy and inexpensive to propagate why would anyone bother?

o

Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 1:57

I contact Wellspring and they told me it's tissue culture, so I'll pass as of now and a member contact me already saying he can get me some. Apparently, they said it's to create a disease free plant. But I do agree fig is relatively easy to propagate. Thank you for your help tho, I really appreciate it.

o

I stand corrected. I guess I have been out of the loop for too long. Doing a search on "Fig Tissue Culture" I have learned a lot. Many if not most of the very small fig trees being sold online today are propagated through tissue culture.

o

Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 21:46

No biggie, I myself didn't know about TC until I bought some plants from Florida Hill nursery. I got a T R Hovey papaya from them and it's not doing to well, lost all its leaves and is now just a yellow stem that hasn't shown any signs of growth since I bought it last fall. Needless to say i'm not a fan of any TC plant right now.

o

I have a panache fig tree in a 5 gallon pot. it's been chewed on for the last few weeks by some hungry rodents so not the best looking. It needs a new home as my climate is not hot enough for it to ripen good fruit. If you're ever in the San Francisco bay area or have friends or relatives that can pick it up for you, it's free to anyone who can offer a good home/can come pick it up.

o

Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 2:33

Parkwood1-

If you can ship it semi bare root, I'll gladly take it. You would just have to prune it to fit a 3 feet flat rate post office tube box and I can pay shipping. I've got family members that are vendors at Pacific coast farmer's market in the bay area every weekend up around the Union City area. But since we haven't started going back yet no one can pick it up. If this works for you let me know at kimchitop@hotmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here