Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting fig

Posted by jimjanco nj (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 17:14

hello - i have two five foot fit trees. this will be their third year. id like to move them to another sectionof the yard, but i really have no idea how this will impact them. root ball is probably about 12 - 16 inches in diameter. should i do this NOW while the are fully dormant - wait till march when thawing starts? any ideas? thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting fig

Do not touch frozen soil, move before the consistent moving of buds.

o
RE: transplanting fig

I've moved many shrubs, trees, etc. in New Orleans and Mississippi. Mostly successfully. My understanding is to move them in their dormant season or when heat stress is less. If you are in New Jersey, are you a coastal, warmer zone? If so, now is the time to do it, before much warmer weather sets in. I also understand that when you dig the plant, you will lose some roots. So I've always learned to prune back the top so the lesser volume of roots will not have the full volume of foliage to keep up with. Saying that, I would read a bit about pruning figs, there may be a way and a time to do that ideally. Also, it is a good idea to use root stimulator or transplant solution (probably the same thing) which are sold at garden centers or Walmart or Lowe's etc as a liquid to enhance new root growth. Do not fertilize right away, however. Of course, water well until established. Mulch. Dig the (new) hole that you are going to place the palm in, before you dig the plant out. Make sure it is wide, as the other poster said. If possible, place the plant on a tarp, gently drag it to the new location, and quickly get it placed in the new hole so the roots are not exposed for long. I think you will be successful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here