Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redshirtcat

Odd leaf coloration?

redshirtcat
13 years ago

I bought this fig last summer and have it inside in my sunroom in 6a. A few weeks ago it started leafing out and the leaves are growing rapidly. Up until a few days ago it looked very health with uniformly light green leaves. Recently the leaves are looking off and I don't know enough about figs to know what is going on. Maybe someone out there can help?

It is growing in a southwest corner of a sunroom with lots of windows and skylights. It is getting supplemental light from cool white fluorescents for ~10 hours a day (during daylight hours). Here are some photographs - you can click through to see the originals for larger images if that helps. You can't really see the discoloration on any of the wide angle shots but when I move in close to any leaves more than a few weeks old they all look like these:

From Fig Tree Issues
From Fig Tree Issues
From Fig Tree Issues
From Fig Tree Issues
From Fig Tree Issues

Comments (3)

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Thats Fig Mosaic Virus "FMV" its in tobacco plants and many vegtables as well. There is no cure except invitro which is not for the in experienced, but done in a lab.

Sometimes during summer it fades until following year.
    Most plants are fine with it , although some are stunted which does not look your case.
    Martin

• redshirtcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response.

I gather based on reading about it after your post that it is pretty ubiquitous? I only bought the plant last Summer and the nursery I buy from locally will take plants back if they are diseased. Do you think I should bother or will the next one probably have the same disease?

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Probably the same. If yours is growing normal it will be just fine.
    Martin