Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Your Favorite Picture-Fig Plants & Figs Only

dieseler
14 years ago

A similar thread Subject was posted on Figs4Fun site but i dont think that member is member on this forum so i thought it was a good idea and now post simialr here.

If you like please post pictures of something you thought was nice picture or your favorite ( fig pictures and plants only please) ; )

Most of us enjoy to see others pictures i know i do.

I have many pictures to share also and will do so if there is enough interest in this posting as well.

Best Health

Martin

Comments (21)

• svanessa
    14 years ago

Ahh, Spring! My VdB last Valentine's day.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:754393}}

• svanessa
    14 years ago

The visitor...sorry, my trees are really too young to show much fruit, maybe this year...until then, leaves and bugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:754395}}

• genecolin
    14 years ago

Young Martin's UK, Spring is near.

• rafed
    14 years ago

Sue,
    That's a nice picture you posted.
    Is that insect in the Grasshopper family?

I'm guessing it's harmless too.

Rafed

• bjs496
    14 years ago

From a couple of years ago... if I remember correctly, this is a Paradise Nursery 'Atreano' that split in Houston.

• svanessa
    14 years ago

Rafed,

Actually I was wrong. It's not a leaf hopper but a Katydid. It is in the grasshopper family and some are considered pests as they feed on leaves, stems, fruit, etc.:

Learn something new every day!

Here is a link that might be useful: Katydid

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:754409}}
    Martin

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Sal

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:754411}}
    Best Health
    Martin

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Martin what variety is the last Pic
    Sal

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is called Negretta.

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

The stem color is neat how was the taste I know they are a dark fig is the pulp red and seedy
    Sal

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sal,
    those figs did not ripen . This plant overall is somewhat of slow grower for me and wants to grow like a bush but i wont let it. It has only the two side branches as i kept the others pruned off and left figs on to get an idea of what they looked like somewhat i was curious.Hopefully this season i get to taste a few figs.

One of the branches will be air layered for a member that asked last season and if that person reads this please email me.

The other has to stay for now. This is my second favorite plant to look at and shape . Only a few plants now i can let grow decent size because of limited storage space this one will be one of the bigger ones if the figs taste good to me.
    One day its my hope to be live in a climate where most my plants will be inground and not so darn constrained in a pot.
    Best Health
    Martin

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

I did a search on the other forum and found your post and some pics that is one nice looking plant I'm thinking a Panchee would be neat to just for the way the figs look but I also understand it is a good tasting fig. I might have to break down and get some cuttings but I really don't have the room maybe just one more

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:754412}}

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Sal "has room for maybe one more". ha ha.....many of us fignuts have said that very same thing only to later justify to ourselves in getting just one more after the last one more acquisition.

Dan

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Hey Martin - your last picture... is that a picture of what is called a "mule flower"? It looks like the drawings of mule flowers I've seen in books, but I've never seen a true picture of one. I guess they are common of Adriatic figs, but until this year, I've never personally owned an Adriatic!

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Satellitehead
    This was a picture of a fig on one of my plants last season.
    Im not sure what a mule flower is.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Please see link to Eisen's book for pictures and info - this page, and the page preceding discuss them. Others have brought up the topic of mule flowers in the past, but it's not something you hear folks talk about often. If I hadn't read Gustav's book, I wouldn't know what they were either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mule Flowers, explained

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After reading that pehaps it was a mule flower.
    This growing season i should get figs from this young plant unless it keeps snowing out here.
    Thanks for posting the link.
    Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:754414}}
    Best Health
    Martin