Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terry_upstate_ny

Advice for starting fig cuttings, helpful tips anyone?

terry_upstate_ny
10 years ago

I have been starting cuttings while waiting for spring to arrive. Last year was my first year for starting cuttings. I was able to get some fine new fig trees started this way, but not all my cuttings rooted properly.
This year I have started rooting them wrapped in damp paper towels in plastic bags, kept in a warm place. I am putting them in little plastic cups when roots start and green growth at the buds start, and putting them near a window for light. The green tips look like they grow by the next day. Some of the cuttings have a sweet fragrance, especially the Gino's Black.
Does anyone have any tips on growing fig trees from cuttings that they would like to share? Good luck with your figs this year!

Comments (9)

• MohammadLawati
    10 years ago

I saw that pealing the bark where the cutting is underground makes rooting 2X faster for me.
    This is what happened and I do not know why.
    My fig variety is a Middle Eastern fig which I do not know the name but it was growing well until I gave it away.

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried cutting a small band of bark off some cuttings but I think I cut too deep, all the way the wood, because I saw no growth there while the cuttings were still wrapped in paper towels. There was some growth on the rest of the cutting.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

The damp paper towel in a baggie method is very popular.I'm trying some in wet Sphagnum moss inside a clear plastic shoe box,with bottom heat. Brady

• MohammadLawati
    10 years ago

No do not cut to the wood, just peal the outer layer only.

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plastic bags with damp paper towels worked a little better for me this year, but I also kept them warmer. I also was able to cut the cuttings into small pieces of one eye/node each after they started growing green tips. So far they seem to be growing well.

• theAteam
    10 years ago

how do you keep the cuttings warm?

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have the plastic bags with the fig cuttings in them in a plastic box near a heat outlet. They are kept in a dark container, and not losing any moisture.

• tyler_j
    10 years ago

For heat and humidity I used a large clear plastic tote with lid that sits an inch off the floor register. What I've done this year that has worked 100% so far is to first clean the cuttings with a disinfectant wipe and let it air dry. Then I wax the cut ends of the cuttings with a candle. I've found in previous years if a cutting rots it usually starts at the bottom where its exposed.

I use a knife and make 6 upward angle cuts just into the wood (3 on each side to the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the cutting.). I use a liquid rooting hormone and apply it with a qtip to the entire area that will be in the potting mix. I mix potting soil with coarse perlite 50/50 in a container. I pre-wet the mix just enough that it clumps together but does not ooze water if you sqeeze it. I put the cutting in a large clear cup with holes in the bottom for drainage. I fill it with the mix and compact it nice and firm.

I put the cup in the humidity bin and within a couple weeks I start to see the roots hit the cup edge. Then I wrap the cup with tin foil to keep the roots dark. Once the cutting starts to leaf out I slowly adjust the humidity by lifting a corner of the bin for a day or 2... then the other corner for a day or 2... opening it it more each day until the cutting has fully acclimated to the room. Once the roots are very well established in the cup I pot it in a 1 gallon pot.

The biggest thing to look out for is to not over-water the cuttings..... they will wilt and die if over watered. Once outside the bin, fungus gnats are an issue if doing this indoors. I use nylon knee high stockings to wrap the 1 gallon pots and twist tie around the cutting so that the gnats can't get to the soil.

Tyler

This post was edited by tyler_j on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 16:23

• terry_upstate_ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for all your input. I am having some success with my fig cuttings but it could be better. I will keep trying. My ronde de bordeaux cuttings that I got this year were doing well at first then they all lost their leaves. So sad.More vigorous were the heirloom celeste cuttings that I bought, and my petite negrii from my mother plant. Waxing the ends seems to help the plants maintain more vigor.
    I am also trying air-layering with good success, but that is another topic.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area