Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyb1820

Fiddle Fig 911!!!

tyb1820
10 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have been researching non stop on the care tips for the Fiddle Fig. It is an awesome tree, but I am losing mine... I have had it about 2 months and pretty much right away the leaves started turning brown on the ends. It was not long after the leaves started dropping. It has lost roughly 65% of it's leaves. I determined that I was over-watering, the location just wasn't getting enough light, and that it was too cold/drafty (I am in TX and it has been a cold winter and it was placed near the front door). I talked to the nursery where I got it and they told me it would be fine with the lower light but that would mean it would tolerate even less water. I moved the tree and it is now placed directly under a sky light and away from the door, however the light is filtered twice before it comes into the house, not bright by any means. While the nursery rep said it should be fine after I showed pictures, I am wondering if it will be.

The main question for my post is the watering. I have read to let the first inch of the soil dry out before watering. The nursery rep said to water it only 2 cups once a week, and I also read some people totally drench it and let it drain once a week. I am way too scared to do this, but maybe I should?

You will see from my pictures I have pruned off the leaves that were really bad, and the leaves left that are turning brown have definitely slowed down. I have been watering once every 2 weeks and only about 2-3 cups. The new leaves are barely hanging on and look droopy like they need water. Any help would be more than appreciated!!

- Ty

More pics:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6UvmfIdw-CQOW9rMksxcXRhTmc&usp=sharing

Comment (1)