Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiddle Fig 911!!!

Posted by tyb1820 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 18:51

Hi Guys,

I have been researching non stop on the care tips for the Fiddle Fig. It is an awesome tree, but I am losing mine... I have had it about 2 months and pretty much right away the leaves started turning brown on the ends. It was not long after the leaves started dropping. It has lost roughly 65% of it's leaves. I determined that I was over-watering, the location just wasn't getting enough light, and that it was too cold/drafty (I am in TX and it has been a cold winter and it was placed near the front door). I talked to the nursery where I got it and they told me it would be fine with the lower light but that would mean it would tolerate even less water. I moved the tree and it is now placed directly under a sky light and away from the door, however the light is filtered twice before it comes into the house, not bright by any means. While the nursery rep said it should be fine after I showed pictures, I am wondering if it will be.

The main question for my post is the watering. I have read to let the first inch of the soil dry out before watering. The nursery rep said to water it only 2 cups once a week, and I also read some people totally drench it and let it drain once a week. I am way too scared to do this, but maybe I should?

You will see from my pictures I have pruned off the leaves that were really bad, and the leaves left that are turning brown have definitely slowed down. I have been watering once every 2 weeks and only about 2-3 cups. The new leaves are barely hanging on and look droopy like they need water. Any help would be more than appreciated!!

- Ty

More pics:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6UvmfIdw-CQOW9rMksxcXRhTmc&usp=sharing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiddle Fig 911!!!

Hi, I hope your tree is still alive, as I am writing this a bit after your post. I'm a total amateur, but I had an experience with a fiddle fig that was similar. I did have brighter light though. But my fig dropped leaves, looked like it was thirsty. It dropped almost all of it's leaves, I got down to two or three leaves. Everyone was saying, don't water it, they don't like too much water.. but my instinct said it was dry. I spoke to one garden lady at a plant center- she said it was dying of thirst. She recommended I use chopsticks to dig small deep holes down into the roots, to ensure that water was reaching all of the roots, and then to really water it. The way it was potted, rooted, was causing the water to not reach the majority of the roots. This worked, and I noticed the results immediately after the first time I did it. My tree took a breath of fresh air, and it took off. I hope this can help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here