Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nothwehr

Light for indoor growth of figs

nothwehr
13 years ago

After many weeks it looks like several of my cuttings have good root growth and are just starting to leaf out as well. I have already moved some of these from the humid plastic bag/paper towel rooting environment to a "pot" consisting of the lower half of a 1 liter bottle containing around 45% vermiculite, 45% perlite, and 10% potting soil.

As it is early February it will be maybe 10 weeks before I feel comfortable putting them outside in containers. So I am wondering how to keep them growing healthy indoors until then. Specifically, what about light? Is light from a window enough or would they get too spindly? Should I put them under fluorescent shop lights? Around mid-April I will start hardening them off for outdoor growth.

A final question - I am in Maryland (zone 6b/7a) and cold weather is definitely an issue. My original plan was to keep the figs in containers until maybe mid-summer and then put them in the ground. Now I am wondering if perhaps I should wait until Spring of 2012 to put a fig tree in the ground with the idea that by then it should be less sensitive to the cold. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• northeastnewbie
    13 years ago

For light I just take them out of the containers into regular room. Remember they are young and only need indirect light. Humidity is more important than direct light. I am in NJ and I would not put a fig in the ground until it is 3-5 years old to make sure it can take the cold. Even then I need to provide winter protection by wrapping the trees.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Figs appreciate direct sun indoors and out. Age of the tree really has nothing to do with it's preference for sun. The problem with direct sun indoors is it's possible for the leaf to heat up to temperatures high enough to destroy tissue, so trees in full indoor sun usually benefit if you run a fan to disrupt the boundary layer (the layer of air that surrounds each leaf) which increases transpiration and cools foliage.

Al

• nothwehr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your two posts. So it sounds like the consensus is that I can keep the figs in a room that gets some sunlight but they don't need to be by a window that gets several hours of direct sun every day. Then later in spring I'll adjust them slowly to outdoor light and then let them grow over the summer in progressively larger containers as needed. Does everyone agree that growing in a container for 3-4 years is necessary in zone 6b prior to putting a fig in the ground? That seems like a long time although I suppose it depends on microenvironment and how well the tree is protected from the cold.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I am in Maryland too although in the southern part. It is cold. I have several cuttings planted in pots. I have two fixtures with shelves in my basement (Temp 50-60) I hanged three Fluorescent lamps with the new Bulb. It makes no heat and bright light. My cuttings are doing very well. All with green leaves and some of them is up to 5 inches. As for taking them outside definitely in April. All my figs Go outside in April. I follow different way all planted in 16 inches pots with holes on the lower part and planted in the Garden then digged-out in winter and go inside. I have 3 years old trees which produced very good last year to my surprise. I am expecting lots of fruits next season can't wait.

• nothwehr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Foolishpeasure, do you eventually plan to put them in the ground then? Any information you have about varieties that do well (in terms of cold weather) in our area would be of interest as I have a space for one more fig and haven't decided which to go with yet.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I have several varieties Blackjack, Brown turkey, Italian and Black mission. I don't leave them outside in winter that is why I plant them in Pots with holes in the side and I dig the pots into the Garden soil.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations