Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny3143

Breaking dormancy - what to do???

pclaire
12 years ago

I searched this forum and found other posts that are kind of like my question but they don't really tell me what I need to know. So please accept my apologies if this has already been covered.

I have three Brown Turkey figs in my basement for the winter. Every year I bring them inside when the weather gets cold and they lose their leaves. I water them from time to time to prevent them from drying out. Around the middle of January they start to leaf and put out a small breba crop. This is when I don't know what to do. I can't put them outside yet, the days are too cold. I don't have any place cooler to move them to in an attempt to slow things down. Every year prior to this one the trees hang out til maybe mid or late March, then they start to drop their figs and do not put out more. For the last few seasons I haven't gotten any figs off of these trees. Does anyone have a recommendation for what to do in this situation? I feel like I should just go with the flow and let them do thier thing, but how do I prevent the figs from dropping? This is heart breaking for me, every year these babies fail to perform, how can I help them?

Comments (7)

• centurion_
    12 years ago

How cold are your days? You could do like I'm doing...Outside during the day...in the garage when it freezes at night.

Not much fun...but it works. For now.

• pclaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the quick response!
    I wish that I could put them out during the day, but it is 31*F here today with light freezing rain. I leave the house at 6am and don't get home most days til around 7pm, so mornings and evenings will be too cold for a while yet around here.

• drivewayfarmer
    12 years ago

One choice is to get some 4 foot shop lights ,regular cool white bulbs are fine , no need for expensive grow lights.
    And suspend these within a few inches of the tops of the plants. Run them 12 to 14 hours a day. This should keep the shoots from getting too stretched out and weak , should green them up nicely.
    When you are ready to take them outside remember this growth will be very tender so take time to gradually get them used to direct sun , over the course of a couple of weeks.
    Get enough shop lights so that all the plants get really good light.

• terry_upstate_ny
    12 years ago

I live upstate and have been putting my fig tree in my unheated basement over the winter for the past two years, but I don't give it any water during the winter. It still grows leaves in the spring.
    Perhaps it is the water that is making the brebas form early on your fig tree. Maybe next year don't water it after putting it in the basemwnt.
    Terry

• pclaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have them under gro lighs for most of the day now. This seems to have stopped the drop but now they are only growing at the top and are not filling out along the branches. Maybe that will happen when they get into a warmer environment, or should I prune the tops to encourage side growth?

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

If you have them under grow lights I would not prune them. The idea is to keep them from losing energy reserves until spring arrives. So there will be a few leaves on top, that are getting some light, and hopefully not too much will happen until the spring. I would prune after setting outside if I were you, since pruning could encourage more growth.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    12 years ago

You'll want to prolong the dormancy period as long as possible until outside conditions will support strong, healthy growth. Keep the trees as cool as possible and water just enough to give the root-zone just a little moisture. Keep them dark and cool until at least mid-April. Do not let brebas form, or they will delay the onset of main-crop figs. If possible, keep the basement cooler, and, darker. Mid-January is no time for figs to start growing.

Figs that break dormancy too soon will just become weak. You need to control this, or you'll be in for a fight each year to keep these trees healthy and robust. This forum has all the information that you will need to know in order to solve this problem, you'll just have to find a way to duplicate the recommended solutions.

Maybe, if the trees are small enough and in containers, they can be stored in the unheated garage of a neighbor, or friend?

Hope this helps. Wishing you the best.

BronxFigs

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County