Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

My Plants and Fig Mosaic Observations

dieseler
15 years ago

Im showing pictures of my small plants under a 6500k grow light single strip. I have learned a little about fig mosaic mind you im just a novice at gardening its fun for me 2 things for me i learned what to look for the oddball spotting weather its different shades of green spotting or sometimes a type of yellowish in the leaves, to put it another way, the chlorophyll in the leaves looks bad but sometimes not to bad and can be hard to spot without a nice closeup look and im trying to point this out in this thread a little for some not to familar with it. Another sign from what i have read on this disease that not only affects fig trees but also tobacco plants and potatoes to name a few is mishappen leaves such as the case with my large trees that show a few mishapen ones but not the spots in the leaves. I always thought the large ones Hardy chicago, EL Sals, and my 2 unknowns were virus free but in reality they are not as they have the mishapen leaves not a lot but just enough to notice otherwise there very healthy from pictures i have posted showing them on my patio and always bear hundreds of figs each year. Did one of my trees infect the others the answer is NO, even my unknown from Bari italy which i rooted myself and grew it by itself one winter indoors some years back showed the mishapen leaves, they all had it from the beginning. Can 1 infect another YES through pruning shears, bugs biteing one and going to another and doing the same. So i personally think that most of us have this virus thru one means or another and some might think no not me but take a real close look this growing season for what is mentioned above and with a trained eye you will know 1 way or another i think weather mishapen leaves or the spotting. Most trees deal with it very well and a small few have a hard time like the black ischia. There is a cure for an individual plant but thats for another thread. Here are some pictures of my plants and a brief description of what your looking at. I hope this helps some.

Martin

Kalamata leaf underside looks good, just wait till next picture

{{gwi:755866}}

Below is same Kalamata leaf looking topside notice if you can what i call a slight yellowish type in the chlorophyl

{{gwi:755869}}

Below is my Madeira leaf underside, see the dark green spots

{{gwi:755874}}

Below is my Madeira leaf topside showing the spots

{{gwi:755877}}

Below is Argetile leaf underside, although that 1 leaf looks bad the overall condition of plant is pretty healthy and grows well like the other ones pictured, i have noticed some plants dont show the virus in all the branches or leaves, is it in the cells of the branches that dont show it i simply do not know the answer but i think it would be but thats just speculation on my part.

{{gwi:755880}}

In the future i hope to post pictures of plants thriving outdoors as im sure they will with some care as usual and im truly thinking they will turn out like my bigger container trees. As for my Black ischia well thats the real challenge for me as the 1 i have is quite sick and im hopefully getting some more sticks from ucdavis to experiment with.

I also want to give thanks to the folks and you know who you are that took the time to root , package, go to post office and there PRECIOUS time in doing the above for me.

MANY MANY THANKS!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting