Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting a Fig Tree

Posted by steggie SC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 9, 07 at 21:59

I live in "upstate" South Carolina and someone wants to give me a Fig Tree about 10 feet tall that I would have to dig up and replant in my yard. The temps have been a low of 25 degrees with a high of 60. Question: Is this a good time to dig it up and transplant it?? Are there any special precautions? I am not much of a gardener and would appreciate your replies. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting a Fig Tree

Dormant would be best, but I would be inclined to wait till very close to breaking dormancy. Get all the roots you can, and prune the top accordingly. Consider misting it to keep up humidity in its' environment until it is established, to help counter the loss of roots, and the consequent inability to take up enough water.

o

No This is not the right time.Wait till first of March and then you can dig it out and replant it.(My Opinion)

o

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES.

o

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 0:26

Steggie,

If you can wait until later this year, I would suggest root pruning ahead of time to increase the root mass under the tree. If so, let me know and I will give you more information on doing so.

~james

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanting

o

have just transplanted white fig tree plant looks to be in shock will it come back? ALSO HAS FRUIT

o

Did you cover it with a clear plastic bag to limit moisture loss. It is very important to leave the bag on for ~ a week. Then daily remove the bag a little more to acilimate it. DO NOT PUT IT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT!

The leaves ususally perk up if they are not too far gone with the bag, otherwise they may just fall off then grow back.

o

thank you loslunasfarms for your help.

gemini1_2007

o

We are planning to relocate a mature fig tree in our yard -- Herman, does the March timeframe work best for Atlanta, GA also?

Any other specific directions/suggestions regarding this transplant?

Thank you.

o

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 20:17

OG Mom,

How "mature" is your fig tree? The size of the root ball should be based on the size of the tree. The tree I took out of the ground had the equivalent of a 4.5" diameter trunk. It came out of the ground with a root mass roughly 24" in diameter. I did, however, let the tree sit with a moat around it for the better part of a year so that it would grow more roots from the base of the tree. Pruning may not be necessary if you take enough of the roots with the tree. If you want to prune it, but all means, do.

As for timing... now is the best time to dig the moat. Start with one side and cut a trench. Next week do another side and so forth until you have a box around your tree. I don't know how cold the ground gets in Atlanta, but remember that most of the trees roots will be in the top 8 inches of soil. You may want to cover the soil left around your tree with mulch and/or black landscaping fabric. Hopefully you will retain enough heat to allow the roots to continue to grow during the colder months ahead. Transplant the tree as soon as you are reasonably sure the last frost has passed. Stake the tree to minimize movement and water regularly.

The sooner you can move the tree before the leaves come, the better. The more the roots establish themselves before the tree breaks dormancy, the less you have to worry about wind and moisture and such.

~james

p.s. also don't expect too much from the tree next year.

o

Organicgardening mom

For Georgia you might want to make it in February or the first part of March-- as you know, it can warm up quite quickly in March.

o

I would like to know what I can do with a Fig tree that

I just dug up out of a friends yard. I was able to

save many of the roots. The tree was pretty young and

had fruit on it from last season. I don't plan on

replanting it for maybe a few months. What should I

do to preserve my new tree? I have pruned it back and

placed the roots in water until I get the answers.

~Paul

o

I had transplanted two young fig trees that had fruit prior to transplantation and after. The problem I have is that the fruit it produced this time did not taste as sweet and the fruit that stayed on the tree for this year dry-rotted on both trees. They are planted on limited sunny area with very porous/drainy soil.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Zeus

o

I had transplanted two young fig trees that had fruit prior to transplantation and after. The problem I have is that the fruit it produced this time did not taste as sweet and the fruit that stayed on the tree for this year dry-rotted on both trees. They are planted on limited sunny area with very porous/drainy soil.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Zeus

o

i have a 4 foot fig tree . i would like to move it to another location. can you please tell me when is the best time to do so.
we live in myrtle beach. s.c
thank you.
karin

o

I'm moving in feb.and would like to take my 2 yr old mission fig tree with me. Is it possible to transplant it in feb?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here