Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westcoastgrower

no roots after 2 months

westcoastgrower
13 years ago

whats up guys, i got some cuttings in december, i put them in moist potting soi, inside my home. today i checked and there are no roots, so i decided to put the cuttings in the fridge "baggie method", do u guys think they will root or is it too late? also, the bottom was roting so i cut the very bottom. but its still green.

Comments (3)

• rafed
    13 years ago

They are not going to root in the fridge. We place them in the fridge only to preserve ( keep them dormant ) them till it is time to root them.
    One of the best and easiest ways to root them is to put them in bags with damp ( not wet ) spaghnum moss and store the bags in a warm, dry and dark place. I would have the bags opened a couple times a week to air them out.

Some cuttings will show signs of roots in within a week or so. Usually I would place the cuttings in cups after the roots are about 1/2in or so or longer , depending on the length or the twig.

Then I would place the cup in a deep clear container ( mini greenhouse ) and keep covered most of the day. I would have it uncovered a few hours a day for air to circulate.

I am worried however about the rotting you mentioned. Hope it is not in the deep stage.

Hope I was able to shed a little light and wish you good luck. I'm shure others with much more experience will offer more and better help than I can.

Rafed

• ottawan_z5a
    13 years ago

Some cuttings may show small roots or root initial within a week in baggie method but most will take longer to root, some as long as 4 weeks and in exceptional cases a bit longer if not rotted by that time.
    Good rooting temperature range is between 68F to 78F and some humidity (wrapped in moist paper but not wet). Some have used higher temperatures around 85C with high risk of mold and rot.
    Rooting may be slower at the lower temperatures but relatively safe from rot and mold. Rooting will be faster at higher temperatures but so will be a high probability of mold and rot. So check the health of your cuttings and accordingly set the temperatures. Older stored cuttings have higher tendency for mold and rot so temperatures at the lower end of the above range will be better. If the cuttings are fresh and healthy looking and relatively fast rooting time is desired then temperatures at the higher end can be used for expediting rooting. It is essential to open the bag for fresh air periodically (every other day at least) and checking the state of the cuttings.
    Good luck.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

You should have seen roots after 2 months in potting soil. It is likely that your rooting mixture was too heavy and your cuttings were just not getting enough air. Mixing it with coarse perlite will help.....also drilling "air holes" on the side and bottom of the rooting container would help. If your mix is not "airy" enough, roots will be slow in appearing. Air must be able to move through your rooting mixture. If the container cannot breathe, you WILL experience rooting problems.

Other suggestions or tips:

> You need to know that potting SOIL and potting MIX is not the same thing. Cut potting "soils" 70/30 with coarse perlite. Cut potting "mixes" 60/40 with coarse perlite. Cut Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix (UPM) 50/50 with coarse perlite. FYI.....UPM is specifically designed for rooting cuttings. It is a SUPERIOR material for rooting cuttings and by all means use it if you can find it. It is based upon a proprietary formula which enhances the rooting of cuttings.

> Make sure that your rooting mix is always BARELY damp. Cuttings will be slow in rooting or will not root if mixture is too dry. Too wet is bad and can cause rot/mold to occur. But too dry is not good either......strive for barely damp.

> Likewise, make sure that your damp paper towels remains always barely DAMP. Cuttings will be slow in rooting or will not root at all if the paper towel is not damp enough. Again, strive for barely damp and not bone dry or soggy wet.

> Make sure that you do not leave too much wood below the bottom node of your cutting. Fig cuttings should be cut about 1/2 inch below the bottom node. Sometimes if too much wood is left below the bottom node......it will be slower to root.

> Your cuttings should root just fine at normal room temperatures.

Dan

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus