Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodground

Too early to uncover fig tree?

goodground
16 years ago

When is a good time to uncover a buried fig? I know it's early and we're still going to get some very cold days here in Northern New Jersey but I'm concerned about it getting too warm when spring arrives under all the bags of leaves covering it. Today we were in the low 60's. When do you Jerzey guys start uncovering your fig trees? Thanks

Comments (16)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Take your cue from mother nature & uncover when other figs &/or mulberry trees (cousins - both in family Moracea) are beginning to leaf out.

Al

• ottawan_z5a
    16 years ago

Thanks tapla. That is good info for me to use. Now I do not have to look at the tall maple trees to see new buds growth. I have two weeping mulbury plants in the front yard and at eyes level. This year I can bring my two fig plants out on time and later get some ripe figs (instead of just one that we had last year that I had to share with my wife).

• donaldo_gardener
    16 years ago

Play safe - uncover Labor Day week-end

• ottawan_z5a
    16 years ago

Labour day!
    Labour day is on the first Monday of September each year.
    That is when the figs ripen (or at least some varieties) and ready for eating. Yum Yum....

• chills71
    16 years ago

I usually aim for around mother's day.

Of course I peek frequently before that as well.

~Chills

• gorgi
    16 years ago

Of course, the September time (frame) must be a JOKE...
    George (NJ).

• gorgi
    16 years ago

Please be very careful, there are some new and naive
    fig-guys/gals that may interpret things literally, same
    as I fell for the (special fig ) Zebra fig ...
    (lol! - 1st and hopefully last me saying [dem IT l*l).

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

George, don't feel too bad about the Zebra fig, here's one that comes pretty close:

{{gwi:756278}}

Photo from: Caracterització de cultivars de figuera a Mallorca
    (4th title down the list; lots of nice pictures in book, written in Catalan; very large file)

• goodground
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I was concerned about it getting too warm while it's still covered.

I think he meant Memorial Day! : )

• marcantonio
    16 years ago

hi,
    check for your area the safe date to plant potatoes
    for your area and that should be pretty accurate,
    naturally if the year is colder than usual.
    wait maybe a week or two.
    this is pretty well accepted advice.

marcantonio

• palmfan
    16 years ago

When I lived in New York I used to uncover my figs about March 15. A local grower used to wait until May. When he unwrqapped his figs that late there was some dead wood and etiolated foliage from growing in the dark. I long since abandoned wrapping my figs, and found that they tended to do better than people who protected their plants. Of course, I was careful to NEVER encourage late season growth because that growth is very cold sensitive. In zones 6b/7a, you should be able to unwrap your plants by early April, or even late March. I would NOT wait until late May, for sure!

• italiangirl74
    16 years ago

We always waited to St. Josephs Day. Ciao

• alexhgi
    16 years ago

april 15 is a great date for your area

• gorgi
    16 years ago

Stick to tapla's advice, DOIT along with nature...

• herman2_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Fignut:There are allwayes different opinion about every Subjiect.
    It will be nice if people only give there opinion based solely on what they learned from their own experience.
    It will be a lot simpler for all of us.
    I absolutelly had the same exact experience with my trees as you had with yours.
    Because of it this year i was allready taking off some of the blankets,on some trees that had too much protection.
    I did it because about a week ago we had a couple of days with 70 * F.But i left at least one on each tree because they still need protection,but not as thick as in January.
    I did it because i noticed the trees are swetting too much,and stay wett too long.
    So in fact we need to give more care ,than just wrapping and unwrapping,in order to have the trees alive and well in Spring.
    Best Regards to all.