Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy chicago fig tree bursting out for spring in Cincinnati, OH

Posted by poncirusguy come in for winter (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 23:16

My fig tree is coming out nicely. So are my cuttings.
Hardy chicago fig coming out of dormancy February 2014 photo IMG_5123_zpscdecf1f8.jpg
buds just opening on main tree.. Three branches have containers with holes in the side fitted over a limb to air layer new trees.
I have pepper plants hanging under the lights used for the fig tree.
plastic cups with pepper plants hanging from nails under fig lights photo IMG_5122_zpsfa606552.jpg
Hardy chicago fig cutting in citrus grow box rooting photo IMG_5116_zps82396a65.jpg
5 of 11 cutting in a heated rooting chamber. The branch with leaves is my seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy chicago fig tree bursting out for spring in Cincinnati,

I have just received some hardy chicago fig cuttings and I plan to try to root them in pots this weekend. I will use a six-inch pot and potting soil. I will make three vertical cuts about an inch long on the bottom of the cutting, coat that end with rooting harmone and place in a hole in the soil in the pot; firm the soil around it; water it until moist; cover with a plastic soda bottle with the bottom cut off, creating a mini-greenhouse. Place the pots under my shop lights where I am germinating onions in mini-greenhouses, leaf brocolli, and strawberries. I am also trying to germinate paw paw seeds under lights in mini-greenhouses and trying to root nero nobili and fico nero fig cuttings in mini-greenhouses. The onions and leaf brocolli are starting to sprout, but no other action. Will this rooting technique for figs work?

o

very high probability it will work as long as the soil temp is above 80 F. They tend to rot at lower temperature.

Cutting #1 is the first picture on this thread.

Hardy chicago fig cutting #2 photo IMG_5151_zps81264e9e.jpg
Cutting #2 has rooted successfully.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 12:39

o

My fig tree picture above now has 70 figs as counted. I may have missed a few. Two branches getting air-layer in hanging cups have been cut from the main trunk and planted. There are 2 more about a week from clipping and one just fitted and waiting for soil.

photo IMG_5413_zps64c086e6.jpg
hardy chicago fig under grow light waiting for safe passage to outside frost free.

photo IMG_5414_zpsffb8cdfa.jpg
2 containers with dirt fited to the trunk and branch being roote. The cup in the middle was press fitted over a small limb. I will fill it with dirt tomorrow and press fit another limb tomorrow with its own rooting cup.

photo IMG_5318_zpsc2d8ed65.jpgbranch rooted in container then cut from tree trunk photo a6c74a02-72f7-454d-aefa-3854a4331d97_zps536d29c6.jpgnewly rooted cutting planted in 5 gallon bucket photo IMG_5403_zpsffb64caa.jpg
The above 3 pics show the air-layer'ed branch still attached. A view just after cutting it from the tree and then planting it in it new 5 gallon bucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Hardy chicago fig 6-14-13

o

2 more successful possible starts from my hardy chicago fig tree.

side cup just started top cup to remove photo IMG_5514_zpsc1def8ac.jpg
Hardy chicago from cutting producing new cuttings.

photo IMG_5516_zps2ee9209d.jpg
Top hanging rooted cutting has been cut off.

side cut removed and planted photo IMG_5512_zps08f6df60.jpg
Lower side cup with cutting removed and planted.

o

Very nice. I have a Hardy Chicago that is tiny from last year. I'm in central Ohio. Do you ever plan to try any of these in-ground? Have you posted details about your light set up? I'm intrigued.

Jeff

o

Jeff I missed your posting or I would have answered with in a day or 2.

I have 3 figs in 55 gallon drum that have rooted as planed in the ground. The Hardy chicago does very well. The 2 brown turkeys grow well but do not fruit.

I have a variety of lighting setups and they really work wonders. Check the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/GROW BOX 4 BY 4 BY X?sort=4&page=1

o

These are pics of all my fig trees. The 3 figs planted outside against the house from left to right are Brown turkey, brown turkey, hardy chicago.

Click on the link below then click on any thumbnail to enlarge.

Feel free to brows around throughout my Photobucket albums. They are all public and for other mto see

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/Hardy chicago fig 6-14-13?sort=4&page=1

o

The cutting above in a 5 gallon bucket with a small side branch getting air layered on the tree

o

Another cutting now outside in 5 gallon bucket.

o

these 2 cutting from air layered branches are the last of the ones that survived spider mites and damp off ( rot around the collar)

o

Hardy Chicago fig was removed from 5 gallon bucket and placed in a 30 gallon half+ barrel. The hardy chicago air-layer ed cutting in the small container will go into the 5 gallon bucket and both will be topped off in a mix of garden dirt with equal volume of totally rotted compost. This has worked very well for me and all the components are free. One drum halved, garden topsoil, black gold compost.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 16:52

o

Here they are topped off in there buckets. notice I build a rim of soil around the edge of the larger tree so I can water and not have the water and soil run off the side of the container. I also use cardboard to line the edge to hold the extra soil that will fill in as the rest settles down into the pot.

Steve

o

The cuttings started in spring are now in their new 55 gallon half drum.

o

The other two cutting successfully started this spring to be up-potted to half drums

o

newest batch of cuttings that survived the rooting process in their 5 gallon bucket.

o

After 10 days in bucket light for 2 out of 4, they have taken off and left the other 2 behind.

Steve

o

Thanks for sharing your photo's.
Hope to one day see pictures of your harvest when ever that occurs in the future.
Hardy Chicago a great tasting fig in my opinion.
Martin

o

Hi Martin

It never recurred to me to photograph the fruit. I eat it to fast. However I did find one picture. I also have a link to photos of the figs life story over the last 3.5 years. They are out of order

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Hardy chicago fig 6-14-13

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here