Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

Hardy chicago fig tree bursting out for spring in Cincinnati, OH

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

My fig tree is coming out nicely. So are my cuttings.
{{gwi:570346}}
buds just opening on main tree.. Three branches have containers with holes in the side fitted over a limb to air layer new trees.
I have pepper plants hanging under the lights used for the fig tree.

5 of 11 cutting in a heated rooting chamber. The branch with leaves is my seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree.

Comments (22)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I have just received some hardy chicago fig cuttings and I plan to try to root them in pots this weekend. I will use a six-inch pot and potting soil. I will make three vertical cuts about an inch long on the bottom of the cutting, coat that end with rooting harmone and place in a hole in the soil in the pot; firm the soil around it; water it until moist; cover with a plastic soda bottle with the bottom cut off, creating a mini-greenhouse. Place the pots under my shop lights where I am germinating onions in mini-greenhouses, leaf brocolli, and strawberries. I am also trying to germinate paw paw seeds under lights in mini-greenhouses and trying to root nero nobili and fico nero fig cuttings in mini-greenhouses. The onions and leaf brocolli are starting to sprout, but no other action. Will this rooting technique for figs work?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

very high probability it will work as long as the soil temp is above 80 F. They tend to rot at lower temperature.

Cutting #1 is the first picture on this thread.

{{gwi:587123}}
    Cutting #2 has rooted successfully.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 12:39

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My fig tree picture above now has 70 figs as counted. I may have missed a few. Two branches getting air-layer in hanging cups have been cut from the main trunk and planted. There are 2 more about a week from clipping and one just fitted and waiting for soil.

hardy chicago fig under grow light waiting for safe passage to outside frost free.

2 containers with dirt fited to the trunk and branch being roote. The cup in the middle was press fitted over a small limb. I will fill it with dirt tomorrow and press fit another limb tomorrow with its own rooting cup.

{{gwi:587121}}{{gwi:643358}}{{gwi:587119}}
    The above 3 pics show the air-layer'ed branch still attached. A view just after cutting it from the tree and then planting it in it new 5 gallon bucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Hardy%20chicago%20fig%206-14-13

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2 more successful possible starts from my hardy chicago fig tree.

Hardy chicago from cutting producing new cuttings.

Top hanging rooted cutting has been cut off.

Lower side cup with cutting removed and planted.

• farowyn
    10 years ago

Very nice. I have a Hardy Chicago that is tiny from last year. I'm in central Ohio. Do you ever plan to try any of these in-ground? Have you posted details about your light set up? I'm intrigued.

Jeff

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeff I missed your posting or I would have answered with in a day or 2.

I have 3 figs in 55 gallon drum that have rooted as planed in the ground. The Hardy chicago does very well. The 2 brown turkeys grow well but do not fruit.

I have a variety of lighting setups and they really work wonders. Check the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/GROW%20BOX%204%20BY%204%20BY%20X?sort=4&page=1

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are pics of all my fig trees. The 3 figs planted outside against the house from left to right are Brown turkey, brown turkey, hardy chicago.

Click on the link below then click on any thumbnail to enlarge.

Feel free to brows around throughout my Photobucket albums. They are all public and for other mto see

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/Hardy%20chicago%20fig%206-14-13?sort=4&page=1

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cutting above in a 5 gallon bucket with a small side branch getting air layered on the tree

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another cutting now outside in 5 gallon bucket.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

these 2 cutting from air layered branches are the last of the ones that survived spider mites and damp off ( rot around the collar)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hardy Chicago fig was removed from 5 gallon bucket and placed in a 30 gallon half+ barrel. The hardy chicago air-layer ed cutting in the small container will go into the 5 gallon bucket and both will be topped off in a mix of garden dirt with equal volume of totally rotted compost. This has worked very well for me and all the components are free. One drum halved, garden topsoil, black gold compost.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 16:52

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here they are topped off in there buckets. notice I build a rim of soil around the edge of the larger tree so I can water and not have the water and soil run off the side of the container. I also use cardboard to line the edge to hold the extra soil that will fill in as the rest settles down into the pot.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cuttings started in spring are now in their new 55 gallon half drum.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other two cutting successfully started this spring to be up-potted to half drums

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

newest batch of cuttings that survived the rooting process in their 5 gallon bucket.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After 10 days in bucket light for 2 out of 4, they have taken off and left the other 2 behind.

Steve

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your photo's.
    Hope to one day see pictures of your harvest when ever that occurs in the future.
    Hardy Chicago a great tasting fig in my opinion.
    Martin

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Martin

It never recurred to me to photograph the fruit. I eat it to fast. However I did find one picture. I also have a link to photos of the figs life story over the last 3.5 years. They are out of order

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Hardy%20chicago%20fig%206-14-13

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we are at 2.5 months. The tree under the bucket light was just started 3 weeks ago. It is just now breaking bud. You can see how fast the trees grow under a 13 watt CFL

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Wow Steve, great job buddy!!! I wish I could start mine that early..Go get em...)

MIke

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First fig on a hardy chicago fig rooted cutting that first broke bud 11 weeks ago

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These 6 rooted hardy chicago cuttings are from 3 weeks to 3 months old.

Steve

The link below will take you to 2015's Hardy Chicago fig story

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0210182323023.html

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 9:13

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County