Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayyubaddeen

Cuttings some root some don't

ayyubaddeen
13 years ago

I started my cutting at about the end of summer. I had some Brown Turkey, Celestreal(Celeste), and Magnolia. The BT and the Celeste were from a mix of old and new wood but the new wood had brown over and harden up a bit (not green anymore) and the magnolia was from old wood but the bark seemed thinner than the other ones. I did some in the bag with newspaper, some in the bag with vermiculite, and some straight in pots of soil covered with a bag. out of all the methods only the Magnolia grew roots and started leaves. Not a single bt or celeste did anything. One bt got soft and the bark came off, one celeste get mold. the rest have not done anything. Why do you think this is?

Comments (5)

• botanicalbill
    13 years ago

Did you dip everything in a light bleach soultion to kill off anything on them?
    I did the newspaper way for about 65 cuttings. In the fridge I noticed that they were getting some harry mold on them. So I put moss in with them (its naturally a deterrent against mold). I kept them in the fridge for about 2 more weeks. I checked on them and no roots. So I got impatient and put them into cups. 1/3 peat 1/3 moss(finely ground in a food processor) 1/3 vermiculite. I also dipped the ends in dipNgrow. I then took a 30 gallon plastic container and put in a 1/3 sheet of lighting egg crate in the bottom. I zip tied 1" pvc pieces to the bottom of that prior to boost it from the bottom (12x 1" pieces total). I filled that layer with cups. I put another 1/3 sheet of egg crate in to make another layer, filled it with cups. I watered it all and put the lid on. (water on the bottom to hold humidity but the bottom cups are not in the water) I noticed mold growing again on the cuttings a few days later. So I took the thing outside and put it in the shade with the lid off. Id say about a week outside now. (im in Florida, its humid out) Ive noticed on about 1/2 of the cuttings that the buds are swelling up. I should have some leafs in a few days. (My trees in the ground have about 5 leafs out already).

That is my story for comparison. I would be very happy if 1/2 of my cuttings make it.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

"I started my cutting at about the end of summer"
    I think the reson,they did not want to grow was,the time you started them!

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I have several cuttings made roots and leaves just one cutting made leaves but refuses to make roots. It became a challange I have all the patence and want to know what will happen.

• k2marsh
    13 years ago

I tried the methoid others are using. Not good results.

How the professionals grow figs cuttings.

Take your cutting in February. You are in Florida, You will have to refrigerate your cutting for about three weeks.

You are in Florida you may need to make some changes if it's too hot in the summer.

Prepair your ground. Plant your 12 inch cuttings with just one bud above the ground. Keep it watered if necessary.
    They almost all live. I don't even use a rooting medium.

Check out the link and read how it's done.

Good luck, Not much work involved. Just plant the cutting.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig cuttings

• taxus_man
    13 years ago

I layer suckers from the base of my tree in early summer, cut, pot and keep them over winter in the cool basement in dark. Akron OH