Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Madeira

Posted by thisisme az9b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 1:35

Anyone have a Black Madeira rooted cutting or tree or even cuttings?

Willing to pay reasonable price. I know reasonable is a relative thing but I'm willing to pay the going price whatever it may be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Madeira

there will be plants on ebay later in the year but they tend to run upwards of $100 for 1 gal. people are fighting tooth and nail for cuttings since it's spring, so I'd just wait until fall if you want to find them at a reasonable price. expect to pay around $20 per cutting in fall and possible double that now. Another good bet is to airlayer your best fig tree and offer it as a trade for a small plant. Black Madeira don't root well from cuttings and a plant could save you a lot of headache and heartbreak. Good luck on your quest and if you ever want to trade a few cuttings please fell free to contact me.

o

Yea I was thinking in the $ 45.00-$ 65.00 range for a well rooted cutting.

If no one has one they can let go of there is always UC Davis but thats a long wait from now.

o

I know Black Madeira has a reputation for being difficult to root, but in my limited experience, I have just a little more trouble rooting cuttings of Black Madeira than anything else. I don't think of the ones I've tried to root this year that I have lost many and I once rooted and grew 4 trees out of one eight inch BMad UCDavis cutting.
IMO It doesn't really like to throw out big roots while "in the bag"-- a lot of times, it will just develop callus on the base and little white nubs on the bark. At that point I will move them to a cup or even better, keep them horizontal under 1/2 inch of rooting mix in a clear container and check them for roots every few days. They root slowly, but they do root--It just takes them awhile. Just my 2 cents.

o

Whoohoo!!! I thought I was going to be skunked but a local friend came through and made my weekend.

Thisisme SMILING BIG right now.

o

I'm also looking for a black madeira. Is there anyone local that might have one? I am in Spring, TX and would be more than happy to pay for a cutting.

Also looking to add to my collection of figs. Something out of the ordinary. What else do locals grow around this area?

Meghan

o

I have overpruned my trees this year

This post was edited by patriota on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 13:16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here