Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to water a fig tree in a container ?

Posted by sam89 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 3:09

I'm new to fig tree planting. I purchased a fig tree (10" whip) in a one gallon pot. I repotted the tree in 3 gallon container. How should I water the tree ? The tree just leafed out yesterday. By the way, the soil I used is Uni-Gro organic potting soil with 10 % Perlite added. If I overwater the tree would the root rot ? The container is under the Sunlight and how can I keep the pot from overheating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to water a fig tree in a container ?

First of all the container has to have good drainage. Also if you used the right mix of Sphagnum Moss (50%), Soil, Humus, and perlite in equal amounts it does not need much watering. The Sphagnum Moss absorbs and hold water.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 15:37

Containerized plants should be watered thoroughly, until at least 10-15% of the total volume of water applied exits the drain hole. This flushes accumulating salts from tap water & fertilizer from the soil. If you cannot water this way w/o risking root rot, your soil is inappropriate for the planting and limiting growth/vitality.

Soils comprised of primarily fine particulates like peat/coir/compost/topsoil/garden soil hold excessive amounts of water and are very hard on root health when used conventionally.

Al

o

The potting soil is too heavy after watering and the pot is too big for this tiny fig tree. The root ball is small with respect to the pot size. I'll apply some trick by resting the container on garden soil. Let the earth remove excessive water out.
Thanks guys. Al, I read your article about "Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils".

o

Most of us are guilty of over watering and I am the first to bleed guilty for that. I read a book written by some PHD in horticulture and he stated that over watering especially when the pot has good drainage system robs the plant of needed nutrients.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 22:01

I hope you found it helpful, Sam. I see you learned about how to turn your pots into mini raised beds. ;o)

FWIW, I've never depended on the (container) soil to provide any nutrition for any of my trees. It provides so little in the way of nutrients that I prefer to operate as though it provides no nutrients, taking charge of ensuring my trees get what they need through regular, frequent fertilizer applications.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here