Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Which fig in Pacific Northwest?

girlndocs
18 years ago

I have a birthday coming up and I'm going to get my first fig tree. I live in the Northwestern maritime climate near Seattle, and I'm thinking about either Brown Turkey or Desert King. Any advice or recommendations?

Figs that change color as they ripen appeal to me, but so does the red flesh of the Desert King, and I hear the Desert King is super reliable here.

Thanks,

Kristin

Comments (12)

• pitangadiego
    18 years ago

Desert King, Brown Turkey, Lattarula, Neveralla, Peter's Honey (or Italian Honey) are [some] early varieties that will ripen reliably.

Check http://figs4fun.com and use your browser to search for the word "Washington" in the pages of the site.

• eukofios
    18 years ago

Raintree nursery is a good resource, and is located a bit East of Olympia. I think that their recommendations are reliable and appropriate for Seattle. Their varieties should be well adapted for local climate.

Seattle is slightly cooler than Vancouver (WA) where I live, but it might help to know that Brown Turkey and Petite Negri both seem to do well here (my trees are still too young to know for sure). From what I have heard, you are also right about King.

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Anybody heard about Vern's BT. Was told that it was
    specially developed for short cool summers like in the NW.

George (NJ).

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Yes, heard of it, but don't have any specific info.

• geofiz
    17 years ago

I have Vern's BT - it is a 2 year old and has yet to
    ripen fruit for me. The leaves are clearly different
    from English BT; they are deeper lobed and less rounded.
    I have heard that it is able to ripen in cooler climates.
    From the pictures I have seen of the fruit Vern's BT
    is larger, almost spherical shaped with a long neck. If
    anyone actually has first hand experience, I would love
    to hear it.

Michael

• jonathan
    17 years ago

I live in San Francisco where we get even less summer heat than you guys, but still falls into the pacific north west category. In my climate, I highly recommend to skip the Brown Turkey. Not that tasty, and I don't consider it reliable ripening. Didn't work for me, and the figs just sit there for a long time without doing anything.

If you want a fig that changes color from green to purplish / brownish that is ultra reliable in terms of ripening and juicy, you've got to try Osbourne Prolific instead. That'll beat Brown Turkey anyday.

This year my Osbourne even ripened its figs during 14 consecutive days of fog, and mid 60s temperatures. The taste was still yummy. I even hear some people claim that Osbourne can even ripen a crop in partial shade.

From what I tried:
    Osbourne and Desert King works.
    Excell works too, but not to the same extent as Osbourne and Desert King in terms of ripening reliability under cool conditions.

I heard Laturalla works, but can not verify it yet. My Laturellas haven't bore any fruit yet.

Conadria hasn't worked for me.

• vincentkim8b
    5 years ago

Lattarula is the best for me in Seattle areas . Always has the good crop with super quality. The only fig can perform and harvest 2 times a year in Pacific Northwest without any problems.

• Deborah lippitt
    4 years ago

I have a Brown Turkey and if I don't prune hard get a huge breba crop that is delicious!! The second crop rarely has time to ripen..usually rots. BUT it is close to the house facing west and it is getting waaay to big(really wants to be 25')..so I am going to remove it. Have had no problems with it at all. even when it snowed. Guess I better check out the Lattarula. I'm going to build a corner wall out in the yard and plant a new fig there..I love figs!!

• Deborah lippitt
    4 years ago

I've decided on a Violette de Bourdeaux. I have a south facing house wall and can grow ginger (haven't flowered yet!)so figs should work..but not to close..gotta watch out for the roots..good so I don't have to build a wall!!

I can hardly wait..One day my husband was up the tree handing down figs and he looked down and asked "where are all the figs?" Me standing there with my mouth full..as fast as he handed 'em down in my mouth they went!! hahaha Always best right off the tree! Now if I can just get my Chinese apricot to produce!!

• Denise Becker
    4 years ago

Check out the BenBinSeattle videos on youtube. He grows many varieties in the PNW.