Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uncover fig tree in central NJ

Posted by marcy96 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 7:01

Hi All,
I'm in Monmouth County, NJ and I was wondering if I should uncover my fig tree. It's been so warm and this week looks like another warm week. I'm afraid my tree might get moldy under the wrappings! Maybe I'll unwrap a bit today and take a peek. Can't imagine the weather will get that cold again but you never know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uncover fig tree in central NJ

Hey Marcy... I'm way down here in north Mississippi ( zone 7b) and I have uncovered my in ground carefully cloaked Celest and Texas everbearing trees. It's been so warm that they were beginning to leaf within the protective covering. It's been about two weeks now and they are bursting with green and literally covered in small figs. I'm watching the 10 day forecast carefully with no frost in sight but in 2007 we had an Easter freeze after a mild winter which killed the buds on almost all the early flowering fruit trees. All I can say is that mother nature is nothing short of unpredictable and ALWAYS wins. Let's hope she goes easy on these trees this year. Good luck.

o

Thanks. I just uncovered the top of the tree and it looks okay. I'm going to leave it partially uncovered for now and just keep checking the weather!

o

It's probably good to go ahead and uncover it so that the new leaves can adjust to full sun. If the forecast says the temperature is going to drop below 37 overnight you may want to be ready to wrap it up to prevent frost/freezing of the new buds/leaves.

I have read that on a clear, calm night it is possible to have frost with temperatures as high as 37 degrees, due to radiative cooling of plant surfaces. If your tree is wrapped, the frost will form on the wrapping instead of on the tree itself.

o

Accuweather is showing mid 30's at night for March 29, 30, 31 so definitely watch the weather!

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 20:10

My husband told me that they are supposed to have some pretty cold weather in TX. He heard that when he was flying today. He and another pilot checked it out when they got back to the heliport because they have all the weather information and he told me it is supposed to go down to 52 here Thursday am. Not cold enough to do harm, I don't think, but I'll put the babies with the tender growth along the kitchen wall on the carport just to keep them out of any wind there might be.

noss

He also said

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here