Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig Out of Dormancy

Posted by moosemac Z5 NH / Z3-4 ME (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 8:52

I'm new to growing figs so I would appreciate some advice.

Last weekend when I went to check on my fig, I notice it had broken dormancy. I brought it up from the cellar and now it's really leafing out. My question is: Should I be doing the fig shuffle? It's been in the low 40's with a light to moderate wind most days but nights it drops down into the 20's. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig Out of Dormancy

If it were me at those temps no not yet.
I would wait, last spring i was doing my fig shuffle around the 12th of month, this season i also started after i root pruned and weather turned nice.
But now in 30s daily and 20s at night for least next 5 days.
Mine will stay in garage for at least another 5 days days then i look at long term forecast again.
Martin

o

Thanks Martin. That was my gut feeling but I figured I'd ask the folks in the know. Darn thing is growing like a weed. It's 7' tall and growing.

o

moosemac ,
I'm in central NH and have the same question of when to start the fig shuffle.
Been so cool recently , I haven't been too tempted to start . Storage area in the barn basement staying around mid 30's so none of them are waking up yet.

o

Yes Yes do the Fig Shuffle. I just looked outside may car is covered by snow.

o

I am in Ma By the RI border I use Tax Day as a Barometer.

April 1st and on is when I comtemplate doing the shuffle.

April 15 to me is when temps began to flatten out.

Dominick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here