Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainman0826

Fig Tree Pictures

mountainman0826
17 years ago

Following are some pictures of the new spring growth following some judicious pruning on my Adriatic fig tree and Mission fig tree. After some bountiful spring rains, the figs are really taking off in Austin,Texas!

Adriatic Tree

Mission Tree

{{gwi:60164}}

Comments (21)

• scott_home
    17 years ago

Nice looking fig trees. I also live in Austin. Yes, my fig trees are taking off, too. What other fruit trees do you have? I have two aisan pear trees (Hosui and 20th Century). They are doing very well, too.

• mountainman0826
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have far too many fruit trees-lol! - 50+ varieties of fig trees, 5 peach trees, a nectarine, 4 Fuyu persimmons, an Asian pear and a regular pear (I don't remember the variety), 7 varieties of antique Appalachian apples and assorted citrus in pots and in the ground.

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Looking at your Adriatic fig, I see that it was top trimmed.
    Knowing that Adr was mostly NA from UCD, and it being touted
    as a very good tasting fig (for NJ), I hope that you did
    not throw out (them) twigs. NOT for me, I have one,
    but for others that looking for it...
    George (NJ).

• radovan
    17 years ago

i liked those fig trees

• christyfiglover
    17 years ago

I'm one of the unfortunate figaholics that couldn't acquire an Adriatic from UCD this year (got 5 outta' 6 tho) so I'm not complaining.... but I really want one some day- maybe next year!
    Fig on!
    Christy

• mountainman0826
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,George!

I did retain a couple of gallon bags of cuttings from my Adriatic tree. The bags are sitting in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator. The tree was trimmed about 3 weeks ago, and I have enough clippings in the trash pile to plant my whole 2 1/2 acres! The tree matches the UC Davis Adriatic in all of its characteristics with the possible exception of leaf shape. It was growing on our place when we bought it in 2001. The leaves have never shown any signs of FMV even though it is situated next to two Mission trees that show FMV. My Adriatic tree is a great tree - it produces about 15-20 gallons of fruit annually!

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Mountainman,
    Now that you mention that your Adriatic is (possibly)
    FVM free, I would like a couple of your extra cuttings!
    UCD.Adr (my source) is one of the most FMV affected figs.
    Send them with James. My understanding is that he will
    be back here in NJ in very early April. Also I know at
    least 2 other NJ fig people that would love to have a
    piece too!
    Regards,
    George (NJ).

• bjs496
    17 years ago

LOL... I'm gonna have to paint a FigEx sign on the side of my car. I'm still waiting to hear where all I am going. I'm running out of time. I am in Houston until Friday. Going to Austin until Saturday night. Then off to NJ Sunday morning. As long as you guys work out your trades and point me in the right direction, I'll do my best to deliver them.

~james

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Sorry James,
    Forget the whole thing.
    I thought that you lived much closer.
    My hands are getting full too.
    Did you share any of my figs with him?
    George (NJ).

• bjs496
    17 years ago

George,

I'll be in Austin this weekend anyway. I am, potentially delivering a tree there already. Also, we should arrange a quick meet when I get to NJ. The rooted cutting I have set aside for you is still bare-rooted and has begun to leaf out. If we can't get together quickly, I'll pot it for you.

~james

• FO876
    17 years ago

Well, if you're offering Id LOVE to get a few cuttings of that Adriatic!

I have plenty of cuttings left over from my unknown (likely to be a Sal's or BT or HC...imo) if you'd like some???

Nice looking trees btw.....I'd also like to hear how you go about winterizing them if need be.

• bjs496
    17 years ago

Well everyone, the trees are even more impressive in person. It is all my nephew has talked about since we've been back to the house.

Thank you Mountainman for a wonderful visit. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family (including your singing pup).

~james

• mountainman0826
    Original Author
    17 years ago

James, I enjoyed your and your nephew's visit as well. He is a very personable young man and unusually mature for his years. Give my regards (as well as the cuttings) to the fellows in NJ.

• gorgi
    17 years ago

fortisi,

Contact James or me about a possible NJ-area-FF-meet.

George.

• jdrich96_mail_com
    16 years ago

I am looking for fig trees or cliping in the Ausin TX that I could purchase. I thank you for your help! Jesse D. Rchardson/ retired and having Fun!

• skupec
    15 years ago

I'm also looking for help buying fig trees in Austin. I've tried both "The Great Outdoors" and "The Natural Gardener", but they're out of stock today (5/15/08). I've been assured that their buyers will call me, but I'd appreciate any pointers on where I might find some.
    Best regards,
    Steve Kupec, cell: 512-289-7905

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

the one place I can think of that carries different varieties of fruit and fig trees is Fannick's in San Antonio.

Bass

• daddycw
    15 years ago

Hello all, I am new to this site and to figs. I just purchased my first two(brown turkey and kadota) from Lowe's of all places. Is this unusual to find them in a nationwide chain store? I always closely inspect the inventories of our local garden centers and have never even seen a fig tree. I find this subject fascinating and hope to become a regular visitor here. Thanks, Chris.

• AmericanFigLover
    15 years ago

how big was the tree you brought at lows and how much did it cost? And welcome to the hobby of growing figs. you should also try the figs4fun forums also, you can say its the sister site of this site.

• daddycw
    14 years ago

Both the kadota and the brown turkey were no more than 8 inch "fig sticks" as my wife insists on calling them, mostly bare with about three leaves low on the branch with numerous budding growth on the upper parts of the branch. In the few days that they have been in the ground they appear to be doing well and are exhibiting tons of new growth. There were only about 4 or 5 figs mixed in with ALOT of blueberry and grape vine 'sticks'. Chris

• daddycw
    14 years ago

Just under $10 each