Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlbug2

Got a breba crop this spring?

girlbug2
13 years ago

My black jack appears to have set a couple dozen breba figs. It's been a good 6 months since I tasted fresh fig. yeah, I know breba figs don't have the reputation of tasting as good as the main crop but even a boring fig is better than a good apple any day!

Also it looks like I will harvest 1 VdB breba and 2 Janice Seedless Kadotas. It's an embarassment of riches :)

What fig varieties are setting brebas for you?

Comments (11)

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

Hi girlbug. My trees are leafing out real well, and some have put on six or seven inches of growth allready. Not a lot of fruit yet. Seven or eight VdB's, about the same amount of black mission, and a couple of Kadota's.

The trees are looking real healthy so far.

Dave

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave, I didn't realize that regular Kadotas would set brebas. Great!

• frozenjoe
    13 years ago

Violette de Bordeaux and Desert King are setting brebas for me. Others may as well as more of those green bumps grow out and show themselves to be leaves or fruit.

Joe

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

In MY climate Kadota never form breba,but it looks like the climate is the problem,as the incipient buds get damaged,before to have a chance to grow.
    Yet your climate being mild and warm,give the tree a chance to really show that it can have breba too.
    Let us know if the plant will grow them till totally ripe without need of caprification.
    When caprified the Kadota have pink interior and not amber like the uncaprified fruits.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I hate all of you. Mine still hiding in the Garage. Just kidding I love every body.
    Abe

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I learn something new every time I come on this forum!

• noss
    13 years ago

I first thought some of my trees were putting out brebas, but then they were by leaves and I thought they were regular figs, but they can't be because it's way too early for main crop. If the fig appears before leaves nearby, then it's a breba, right? Main crop appears after the leaf in the I-don't-know-what-you-call-the-angle-the-leaf-forms-with-the-branch, but you know what I mean.

I picked off brebas from the Celestes so far. Should I go ahead and pick off the other brebas? I have brebas on the Brown Turkey and TX Everbearing and Improved Celeste and LSU Purple and several others. Should I pick off the brebas from the very young trees?

Thanks,

noss

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm noss, how young are your trees? If you have just planted your figs then maybe that's the right thing to do. I can't really say for sure since I have never had that dilemma. If this is at least their second season and they are well established then I'd leave the brebas on and count myself blessed to have brebas so soon.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

If you have 2 buds on a shoulder,on the old growth,and one turn into a fruit,and the other turn into a leaf,and later,a new branch,then that fruit is a breba.
    If on the new branch,that started from one of the buds mentioned,before,a new Embryos grows,then that new Embryos is a main crop fig.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

Herman, my Kadota is a four year old tree, and has been in the ground for eighteen months. It had breba's last year as well. All were dry and inedible.

I am expecting the same this year as well. I left a few just to find out, but most of them I have allready pinched off.

I don't expect them to ripen...but I'll let you know.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hello Herman,

Then all the figs coming on those trees are brebas as I first thought. I got thrown when leaves with growth came out beside the figs, on the old wood, but after the figs started.

I forgot that the main crop will form on new growth--Thanks for reminding me. The brebas on the Celestes popped out of the wood with no leaves near them in the past two years, but this year, they grew and then some growth started beside them. I picked those off because the Celeste brebas on my trees are no good anyway. I need to let some of the brebas develop on the trees I got last year to see if they are good, or not. I think I'll pick the brebas off the tiny trees and just let them put on some good growth. If they want to put on a main crop fig, or two, I'll let them do that to see what they're like.

Thanks,

noss

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor