Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athom68439

Cutting has roots/no leaf bud

athom68439
12 years ago

For some reason I planted one of my fig cuttings to deep and did not leave out a leaf bud. The stem has rooted, but can it grow it's own bud (leaf) out of the top or is it ruined? Could I possibly raise the cutting so a bud is exposed, even though there are already roots on that part of the stem? Thanks for your input!

Comments (5)

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

I think the only place it is able to grow a shoot is at a node.

I have certainly seen shoots grow up from nodes on cuttings that were under the soil level. I guess it depends on how far under the soil.

As far as what to do, for me it would depend on where most of the roots are growing. If you have a lot of roots below the top (underground) node, it's probably OK to uncover the node, thereby losing the roots that are above it, and hopefully stimulating that node to grow a shoot. But if most of the roots are above that node, I would just leave it alone and hope for the best.

Rob

• athom68439
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice Rob!

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi athom,

I don't know if cuttings do the same as regular trees, but I literally hacked my older Celestes to pieces both last year and this and cut off quite a few very thick limbs. Both trees began, almost immediately, to pop buds out all over their wood and not just at nodes. The buds sprang out of the wood all over the place.

I think that your cutting will either pop buds out like that, or shoots will emerge from the nodes that are under the soil. If it's got roots, it's already growing and that's great! I would be ecstatic if I had cuttings with roots like that. :)
    noss

• athom68439
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence Noss. I was pretty excited to see the roots. Tried using pine bark fines this time and it's working awesome. Roots on three out of three so I'm pretty excited. Hope I haven't messed around with them too much.

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

Noss,

Just wondering if it's possible that on an old, weathered tree, it might be that there are nodes that are very difficult or impossible to detect. Could it be that the bark has sort of grown over the node, but underneath, there's still a node there, and that's where the shoot is coming from? I have very little experience with older trees. I have seen cuttings from older wood that is so gnarly sometimes it's hard to tell where the nodes really are. And sometimes there are many many nodes in close proximity for whatever reason.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!