Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Potted Fig - waking up early

mandolls
12 years ago

I have a fig in a 10 gallon pot that is waking up a little to early for this climate.

It started showing signs of budding in late Dec, but only now are there leaves beginning to unfurl.

I left it outside until temps dropped below 20 degrees, then had it in the garage until it got below 10 degrees, then brought it into my workshop/studio where the temp is usually 50 with very little sunlight.

I am wondering whether I should put it back outside now? We have a very warm weather right now (for WI) 50-69 during the day 40's at night. Does it make sense to go ahead and put it outside and bring it back in the garage when it drops below 35 or so? We could easily get another cold spell where it stays below freezing for a week or more. The last frost day here is the end of May.

The only other option I see is bringing it into my house where it can be by a southern facing window that gets lots of sun - but it is so damn big, I will have to move furniture to make room for it.

Comments (4)

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

Sounds like a good plan. Put it out and get a head start. Good luck!

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    12 years ago

Mandolls....

You should've kept the tree dormant and cool as long as possible. The new growth will be killed by too low temps.

Your best option is stated in the last paragraph. Move the furniture, and make room for the tree, or buy a dolly and move the tree in and out of your garage. You'll need the tree to continue to grow right through the coming season without any set-back, so do whatever it takes to make the tree happy. The tree "thinks" it's spring, so you have to duplicate spring weather either in your house, or, by letting it grow in warm day temps, and warm night temps. In a month or so, gradually increase the tree to the warming outdoor temps. until it could be left outside, to grow, like all the other plants. Too cold and the new leaves/growth will be damaged, or, killed back.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

BronxFigs

• dontommyg
    12 years ago

I'm in MA. Depends on how hardy your variety is. This weekend should be in the 60s and next week maybe in the 70s. It might be warm enough for them to do well outside. I am planning on moving my plant outside this weekend for th season. I have the chicago hardy.
    If yours is in a 10 gallon, you should be fine. It is mature enough to withstand a lot more than a young plant. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: sunroom gardening

• wildforager
    12 years ago

I agree, put it outside. Let it get some sun and stay warm. Thats where mine are right now & I'm in WI too.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets