Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

Fig selection help needed

bart1
13 years ago

I live in northern Virginia in the (semi) mountains. I'm probably in the cold end of Zone 7 and the warm end of Zone 6. The temps get down to the single digits every year.

I'm new to fig growing, but would like to get a couple varieties going this year. I'm thinking of Hardy Chicago for outside and Petite Negri for container growth. I'd like to get at least one more for outdoor growth.

I was thinking of maybe Lattarulla as "Edible Landscaping" says is ripens in their nursery which is only about 90 minutes from me. The other 2 choices I had were Celeste or Brown Turkey. What do you think about any of those three for outdoor growth? I'm trying to have the figs be as different as possible in all regards - color, taste and harvest time, so for instance, if Celeste and Hardy Chicago taste pretty much the same and both come in in early July, I wouldn't want to grow them both.

So what do you think? Are my two picks of Hardy Chicago and Petite Negri good ones? What other outdoor fig should I try?

Thanks!

Bart

Comments (9)

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

For what it's worth--taste-wise, Lattarulla is very nice and ripened well for me last year in a pot. Last summer had cooler than usual weather patterns, but I still got good-flavored figs from Lattarulla. This year, I'm planting it out in the ground as part of a 3 in 1 planting with a Janice Seedless Kadota and a Peter's Honey.

Petite Negri in my past experience is a good container fig as it stays truly dwarfed. The flavor as I remember it from 9 or so years ago is sweet with a rich, somewhat acidic undertone. I liked it very much, but killed my fig by letting it go too long without water in a clay pot--it was fried by the end of that summer :(.

Of course all this is from a different zone than yours, but there ya go :)

• bart1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks girlbug!

Anyone a little closer than Zone 10 wanna chime in?!?!

;-)

• igo4fish
    13 years ago

hi, Bart

the first year i set out my Celeste and BT, they both froze but came back. They had no protection. This winter only the BT froze (but is coming back. This winter got down to 16F. The Celeste (and Alma), had no freeze damage. Should give you an idea about hardiness. You can grow more delicate figs outdoors but you will have to grow them out a few years in a controlled winter setting or protect them while in-ground. Have not tested the hardiness of my HCs yet. Hope this helps.

• ottawan_z5a
    13 years ago

I would recommend to add Hardy Chicago, Sal and Natalina for early ripening. Also, get one Deset King only for good early brebas.

• frozenjoe
    13 years ago

Hardy Chicago and Marseilles VS are your 2 best choices IMO. I grew figs in northeast Mass from 2007 to 2010. Those 2 were the best growers. Celeste makes a nice fruit too.

Joe

• elder
    13 years ago

From Fairfax Co, also single digit Winters. Favorite is Celeste, second is yellow Marseilles,like the one Jefferson grew at Monticello. Tried several varieties in containers, not happy with any. Young trees up to three years old should be protected in the Winter with 3 ft diameter fence cage filled with dry leaves. Figs can be erratic in growth and fruit production until the 3rd or 4th year. Keep trying different kinds, that's part of the fun.....

• igo4fish
    13 years ago

hi, Bart

the first year i set out my Celeste and BT, they both froze but came back. They had no protection. This winter only the BT froze (but is coming back. This winter got down to 16F. The Celeste (and Alma), had no freeze damage. Should give you an idea about hardiness. You can grow more delicate figs outdoors but you will have to grow them out a few years in a controlled winter setting or protect them while in-ground. Have not tested the hardiness of my HCs yet. Hope this helps.

• bart1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the help folks!

• ejp3
    13 years ago

I would go with sals fig (genes strain). I think it's more cold hardy than hardy chicago. Marseilles dies back every year here. I believe the strain of latarulla from edible landscaping will die back too. Celeste and brown turkey, in my experience celeste is more cold tolerant but I feel you can do better than those 2. Atreano has been cold tolerant for me and I think is better than the previous 2.