Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container or in-ground?

Posted by alh_in_fl 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 11:41

I have read that fig trees produce more fruit when they're in a container. Is this true?
In my climate there is no need to bring the figs indoors in the winter so they don't actually *need* to be in a container.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container or in-ground?

You are blessed to live in a climate where you can leave your fig trees outside. It is true that one can be very successful growing figs in containers, but it takes a lot more work and is more expensive.

Plant your tree in the ground and enjoy. If you want to put one in a large container to compare, then by all means do so. But I think you will find that in ground is better in most respects.

Rob

o
RE: Container or in-ground?

Rob23b has given you some good advice, and either way, growing figs is very easy once you get into a routine.

One caveat for you to consider if you are going to plant your fig-tree in the ground...watch out for "root-knot nematodes" which can be a problem down south.

If you decide to grow fig trees in containers, you will use a clean, organism free, growing medium, and eliminate this potential problem. Containerized trees require more attention to watering, fertilizing, etc...but, it's no big deal. I have been growing my fig trees in containers since 2007, and I think it's a great method. I use 18-20 gallon plastic tubs that I buy at Home Depot, drill holes for drainage, and put containers with the planted trees on a dolly, so the whole shebang can be rolled around easily. My trees give me dozens of ripe figs each year. Cut to the chase and get yourself a fruiting-size tree and harvest ripe figs this season.

Good luck, and happy growing. This forum will give you all the answers that you'll need for growing figs. Try it, you'll like it!

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here