Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlieboring

Propagating Fig Cuttings

Charlie
10 years ago

I did not get many figs this past year from my celeste and brown turkey plants because the first frost arrived before they were ripe. So I wanted to plant some early producers and I traded cuttings with some friends. I received some fico nero, nero nobili and some Chicago Hardy cuttings for my celeste and brown turkey cuttings. I started my fig cuttings on 3/1/2014. Just took a look at my fig cuttings on 3/7/2014 and the fico nero buds had started to break out. Since the basement where the figs are located is about 63 degrees, I used a mini greenhouse (plastic bottle) to raise the temperature to an acceptable high and keep the humidity high around the cutting. The nero nobili has not yet started to break its buds out. I believe the nero nobili cutting that I initially planted did not have enough buds on it, so I put a new cutting in the same pot on 3/9/2014 to see if that one will do any better. The nero nobili cuttings may be too dry. I started all over with the chicago hardy cuttings. The dog got into the pot and chewed the one Chicago hardy cutting that I potted. I started three more chicago hardy cuttings on 3/9/2014. The mini-greenhouse keeps the humidity high around the cuttings; you can see droplets collecting on the bottle sides. Since the cuttings are under flourescent shop lights, the temperature is raised but not extremely so. I have not measured the temp but it looks like it is about 75 degress.

Comment (1)