Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find dried fig leaves for tea?

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 14:12

I dried a lot last fall after I made some tea and loved it.Plus it helps my digestive problems.

Long story short... I am almost out and have been trying to find some locally and online without success.

Anyone know where I can buy some?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find dried fig leaves for tea?

I've got a bunch of dried leaves ready for tea that I'd trade you. Interested? Send me an email.

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 17:47

The 'wildforager'... The name stands on its own, God bless!

On a side line - spring is in the air; and you should
soon be able to harvest some more off your own trees.

o

I sent you an email yesterday wildforager, did you get it? I know that sometimes the email doesn't work from this site.

Yes Gorgi, I am starting to get some tiny ones sprouting, I'm just afraid that I will run out before they are big enough!If the weather holds like they are predicting I can probably harvest some in about 2 weeks. I'm rationing the leaves that I have left!

o

You can always cut a few branches, split their bottoms, and put them in a vase with warm water; if you are really desperate.

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 1:09

What does fig leaf tea taste like?

noss

o

Hard to describe noss, but it is good! I mix it with regular old ice tea and it gives it a fruity taste.

o

wertach, I responded to your email shortly after you sent it to me. I thought you weren't interested when you didn't reply back. Should I resend?

o

Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 0:34

I was wondering about the flavor because some of my fig trees smell like cat urine. I now have others that smell good. Do you use only the leaves from the trees that smell good?

noss

o

I've also noticed the cat urine smell sometimes, but more often there's a pleasant smell that is hard to describe but reminds me somewhat of vanilla or coconut. Hopefully the tea tastes more like the latter.

o

Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 20:15

LOLRob! I would hope that no one would crave the taste of the former. I was wondering if the drying process and heat of brewing tea would temper the latex of the leaves.

This is interesting to hear about.

noss

o

What I do to ensure I have mellowed leaves is harvest the leaves in the fall when they fall off the tree. The latex has receded into the branches and the leaves have yellowed. In my experience these leaves have better flavor and are not bitter or otherwise. Hope this is helpful.

-Little John

o

Yes wildforager, resend, I didn't get it.

o

wertach, email sent, keep an eye on your spam folder

o

Got it and responded.

o

I Found some locally! Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here