Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

How do you deal with the weight issue of gritty mix use?

briana_2006
12 years ago

Hi -

I have a few questions on optimal growing of fig trees.

I have seen the many posts by Al T and have benefitted from his posts and his kindness of emailing and talking directly to me. Thanks Al!

I have transferred a number of plants including a fig to the gritty mix with good success. To this point however, I have put plants in pot sizes that have required only about 3 quarts of the gritty mix.

Now on to most of my fig trees which are currently in 44 quart cylindrical containers containing miracle grow potting mix amended with perlite. Container dimensions: ~ 17.5 inches tall and ~ 18 inches across (internal diameter).

Some of my plants have been in the same mix for about 7 years.

When the first couple of trees were new to me I used miracle grow 24-8-16 to fertilize them at package strength every week or two and got a good number of figs from them in the first few years. For the last couple of years they haven't produced that much. Last year I did root pruning on them and put them back in the same miracle grow potting mix. Also, last year I was unable to fertilize them as much as I should have so I know that is at least part of the reason the yield was poor. I am curious is that likely to be the primary reason or is it more likely to be a result of the combination of the root pruning, the miracle grow potting mix which I know is not ideal due to perched water and compaction, and the age of the soil in general (some ~ 7 years old)?

I would like this year to try to put at least one tree in the gritty mix but I am concerned about the weight issue of the pot. I estimate that a 44 quart container containing gritty mix will weigh nearly 100 pounds before addition of water, which will obviously increase the weight.

For those that plant in gritty mix how do you handle the weight � use a 2 wheeler to move the pots? Or, do you reduce the size of the pot to say half of the 44 quart size? I can imagine that moving a pot of this size/weight (44 quarts) to and from the garage will become tedious very quickly unless the 2 wheeler makes the move quite easy.

I am concerned that by reducing the size of the pot to make the weight manageable, because the soil volume is reduced, then the yield will also be quite reduced.

Or are people using the 5-1-1 for fig trees since it will be lighter?

Martin D. �

I have seen many posts of people saying you grow fig trees very well. I seem to recall at one point you using the gritty mix. How did you handle the weight issue? What is your preferred soil mix, fertilizing schedule, etc. If you use something other than the gritty mix or 5-1-1 do you put the pot in direct contact with the earth so as to help with the perched water table as Al T has described?

Al �

I believe in one of your posts I have seen horticultural perlite can be substituted (after screening) for the gran-i-grit which will lighten the pot. Should I do this (I�m in St. Louis area) to better manage the weight of the pot? Should I substitute only a portion of the gran-i-grit or all of it? I assume the weight of the turface will be enough to keep the pot from blowing over in case of a strong wind.

Since our weather is improving I would like to in the following week do some root pruning and address the soil issue.

If I can�t find an effective way to deal with the weight of the gritty mix in the 44 quart container then I�d like to know if I should buy new soil (miracle grow potting mix or promix or something of the like) to replace the 7 year soil mix to hopefully get better yields - with of course more frequent fertilization?

Thanks all for any advice.

Brian

Comments (5)

• ejp3
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I use the gritty mix but substitute coarse perlite for the grani-grit. It makes a big difference weight wise and I get the same growth.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Turface weighs 35 lbs/cu ft, granite about 50, and pine/fir bark about 10. Since you use them in equal volume a cu ft weighs the average of the three, or about 32 lbs. There are about 7.5 gallons in a cu ft, so it weighs about 4.25 lbs per gallon or a shade over 1 lb/qt, so 44 qts of dry gritty mix would weigh about 50 lbs. FWIW, the gritty mix when saturated weighs about 25% more than a saturated MG or other peat based soil.

It's difficult to perceive what might have caused the problem last year - there are just too many variables.

I have some hellishly large pots with the gritty mix in them. Those too heavy to carry about, I usually lift them onto a nursery cart/wagon & pull them where I want them - like to store them. If they're REALLY big, like larger than 25 gallons, I use a plank and roll them (like you would roll a barrel on it's bottom edge) up the plank onto the cart. Some, I use a hand truck to move around.

I use the gritty mix for figs, but they are so vigorous in their roots, and really NEED repotting so often, that the 5:1:1 mix would also suit them fine. In most cases, to optimize the plant's vitality, figs should go no longer than 2 years between repots. Root congestion very quickly takes a toll on them.

If you decide to use the gritty mix, you can find coarse perlite at hydroponics shops in 4 cu ft bags. You can use it in place of the granite on a volume for volume basis, but DO screen it.

Best luck, B.

Al

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

Good feed and seed stores will have large bags (2 cu. ft.?) of horticultural perlite at a reasonable price and needing no screening.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

If you're making the gritty mix and want to get the benefits of maximized aeration/drainage and you don't want a perched water table, which is one of the PRIMARY reasons to use the gritty mix, the perlite fraction DOES require screening and should be coarse grade. In my experience, if you don't have a perlite wholesaler near like I do ($10/4 cu ft bags), where you can get the coarse grade, look to the hydroponics shops.

Everything that goes into a properly made gritty mix should be screened, even if only a quick shake to remove the dust & fine fines.

Al

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    12 years ago

I reduced my chances with getting double hernias long ago by using dedicated dollies to move my large tubs/fig trees around. You will always lose if you try to lift and push these containerized plants from place to place.

The dollies are cheap...back surgery isn't. Cut your losses and buy some dollies.

Frank, from the thawing-out Bronx, NYC