Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verdal Longue?

Posted by giants_2007 10 PSL FL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 14:43

Recently seen some posts on this variety and it seems that Jon & Bass find it to be a good fig for taste (and good productivity for Jon also) I have done a search and only found 6 posts which I'm referring to and one member said he trashed his after observing for a few seasons Maybe not right for his climate
I got some nice cuttings this year from Jon and placed in Spag Moss a first for me as I usually go right to a rooting mix no baggie just a cup stick and grow with some type of dome. OK one stick is starting to show roots and I'm sure the others will soon follow. hopefully they will take the next step well
Can I skip cup and go right to pot with a light potting mix 70/30 perlite and potting soil same as I would use for cup with a dome lid?
Also is this just a main crop fig?
FMV signs?
Splitting and Eye characteristics?
Any feedback good or bad always appreciated
Sal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verdal Longue?

Hey Sal how you doing?
Hi Sal
most would not do that. Iv'e done it in a 4 inch pots and recently in a 2 - 6 inch ones only though nothing bigger.
I have and learned from a few mistakes doing it like this rotting the stick and drowning the roots from to much water, i now use a spray mister if i do it like you mentioned.
What i do is get the soil im going to use and spread it out and mist it then i spoon soil in pot only and make the hole and put stick in it but not to deep because if it needs water before the stick takes hold i use the mister so as not to try and wet the pots soil completely and it can dampen the roots slightly without drowing them from being to wet.
Sound familar? ' )
Best Health
Martin

o
RE: Verdal Longue?

Thanks Martin Martin I will go to cups then and wait for better root development before I pot. I just don't like having to disturb them roots more than I have to.
Any more info from those who have tried this fig for a couple of seasons greatly appreciated
Sal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here