Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turface-MVP....growing medium?

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 14:52

Just curious....

Can a containerized fig tree be grown in just straight, 100% Turface-MVP as the medium, together with a good fertilizer, like "Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro 9-6-3" and also some macro-micro supplements? Do you think this will work?

Only asking, wondering.

Frank/BronxFigs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turface-MVP....growing medium?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 16:18

That is clay, I would say no.
I would have at least:
25% MVP
25% sand
25% small rock
25% Organic compost/soil
But Al the man to ask, he has been doing this for years.

o

joli...
Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling that straight Turface will not be a very good medium, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

Frank/BronxFigs

PS...I'm sure Al will set me straight when he reads my question.

o

That sounds very heavy especially when your fig gets bigger.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 21:01

You maximize root health by building soils that provide plenty of aeration, have good drainage, and don't hold significant amounts of perched water. I think Turface alone is probably too water retentive (it holds a LOT of water). You might try screening it to remove the finer particles and mixing it with an equal volume of crushed granite or perlite to reduce the soil's o/a water retention. You'd then essentially have the gritty mix sans bark.

I would urge you to base your soil on large particulates as the primary fraction. That usually means pine/fir bark or coarse inorganic ingredients like Turface MVP/Allsport, crushed granite, cherrystone, Manna Pro, calcined DE, ...... I never recommend sand, peat, coir, compost, topsoil in any container mix unless it's limited to a very small fraction with the rest of the ingredients being much coarser.

Al

o

7deuce, Al...

Thanks for the comments, and technical explanation about the growing medium(s) for containerized plants. I really didn't think that straight Turface-MVP would be a good alternative, but I just had to ask.

Al...I will just keep growing in your mix.

Thanks, all, for taking the time to respond.

Frank

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 20:51

Hi Al,

Would it help if some larger pieces of pine bark mulch would be added to potting soil? Would that keep the soil more open?

Thanks,

Viv

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here