Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisisme_gw

Prefer to buy cuttings or trees online?

thisisme
11 years ago

Today I purchased the last Panache from a very reputable online nursery. Total including shipping was $ 35.00. The shipping was $ 15.00 of that. Each additional tree would have only cost an extra $ 3.00 to ship. Unfortunately all the other varieties I was interested in were sold out.

Having said all that. I have seen many varieties sell on eBay for 2-4 times the cost of having a tree delivered from a reputable nursery.

My personal preference is something that already has roots. Be it a tree or a rooted cutting. I'm just not good enough at rooting cuttings to pay very much for them.

So I just have to ask this question because I don't understand this phenomenon.

Do you prefer to buy cuttings or trees online? If you have a strong preference please state it. How much more are you willing to pay for cuttings than you are willing to pay for a tree?

Comments (13)

• kngskid
    11 years ago

Hi Thisisme,

I agree with you completely. I purchased several fig varieties on ebay and ended up with 54 cuttings. This was my first time trying to root cutting and my heart breaks every time one of them fail. I just hate coming down to see that one more plant has wilted. I've only lost a few and most of the cuttings and small plants are doing okay, at least they look okay today but for all the time and hard work I've put in to coddling the little sticks, I doubt I will do this again. From now on I will buy plants or small trees and I know that means I'll have to do without some varieties but I'll just have to be okay with that.

**You didn't mention the name of the nursery and I hope that you will. I am always looking for reputable nurseries.

Have a great day!

This post was edited by kngskid on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 20:27

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi kngskid, I can relate. I tried to root more than 100 cuttings one year. It's hard keeping that many babies happy.

The nursery I purchased from was Rolling River Nursery. They have a great reputation. They also have a good selection of figs and other fruits. At this point there are a number of trees I'm kicking myself for not purchasing a month ago when they were still in stock.

• kngskid
    11 years ago

Thanks, I will be checking them out.

• centurion_
    11 years ago

You might try obtaining cuttings from local trees (with the owner's permission of course).

Once you get started, you'd be suprised how much you can save through trades and outright gifts. For example, I get trade pots pots that are leftovers from a local landscapeer.

Rooting cuttings takes longer to get results...but fig trees grow pretty fast. Many will even produce fruit their first year.

• tmc2009
    11 years ago

I think it depends on the variety that you are looking for. The more rare varieties might only be available in the form of cuttings. If I could have only one tree I would have a Negronne or Violet de Bordeaux and you can find mature trees available online. I have purchased from Ediblelandscaping and have been happy with the plants I received. If you are looking for a Black Madeira rooted fig trees that's another story. It's probably easier to get cuttings.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tmc2009 I have seen people paying over $ 50.00 delivered for Violet de Bordeaux cuttings and OVER $ 60.00 delivered for Panache cuttings over $ 80.00 for LSU Hollier. I'm not talking about Black Madeira or Sal's BC. I'm talking about varieties you can get at the 5-6 well trusted online retail nurseries.

• patriota
    10 years ago

I have overpruned my trees this year

This post was edited by patriota on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 23:08

• tandrew31
    10 years ago

Can someone tell me how to prepare and ship rooted fig cuttings and how weather is a factor. Any advice or info
    appreciated.

• tandrew31
    10 years ago

Can someone tell me how to prepare and ship rooted fig cuttings and how weather is a factor. Any advice or info
    appreciated.

• vitalucky
    10 years ago

Buying from a reputable nursery is the best choise: you have a tree. Cuttings fail (at any stage) and many times you end up with nothing. Plus for a cutting to get at the plant stage it takes a year.
    Also, it depends how or where you get your cutting. If it is free, try it. On eBay you end up paying too much, many times more than you would pay for an established nursery tree, and the results will be uncertain.

• ottawan_z5a
    10 years ago

Obviously if one has money to spend then buying ready made rooted trees is the easy option to create a fig collection; no fuss no mess, and getting fruits earlier.
    However if there is not much money to spend on purchased trees on the wishlist for collection then acquiring cuttings through trade/exchange is an economicall way to build up one's collection and for some it adds to the fun of enjoying rooting your own, watch and enjoy; and some people do enjoy more the ones that survive then feeling bad for more than a few noments for the one that don't survive.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    10 years ago

cuttings rock, once you master it, it's a breeze. and to whom said it takes years to produce has little experience with fig cuttings. I have had cuttings grow 5 ft in 1 year and be loaded with figs the next. most people kill cuttings by lack of humidity where they dry out or over watering and they rot. plants are cool but I'm not paying $50 for a common fig when I can get cuttings for 10 or $15 and have 6 or 7 plants in 2 months. I've never seen VDB cuttings sell for 50 or Panache for 60. I think you're talking about RDB and Jolly Tiger. unless we are talking 20 cuttings or something.

• tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
    9 years ago

Does anyone here have fig cuttings I can get from. I would like to expand my two container Chicago fig tree to more varieties. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals