Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonlilly

My Husband pruned my fig tree wrong. How can i save it?

dragonlilly
11 years ago

This is our second spring on our new property that came with 2 fig trees. My husband heard on the radio that it was time to trim back the fruit trees, and that fig trees were not particular. So he cut it back like you would a bush... leaving none of last years growth. Now it looks like like we will have no fruit or foliage. Is there anything I can do to save it for next year?

Comments (11)

• soaht
    11 years ago

Do you know what kind/variety your tree was? Knowing what kind will answer if you might or might not get any fruits this year. If it is a breba only fig tree then you won't be likely to get any. Since breba will only grow on last year's old wood. If you have a fig tree that produces two crops(breba and main crop) then you should be getting some after the tree's new growth start growing this year. To save for next year, only prune some and leave some as main branches in the shape you desire. Hope this helps a little.

• wisner_gw wisner
    11 years ago

You will get growth. He did not kill your trees. Figs can take quite a bit of pruning. You may not get as many figs as you would have according to the variety of figs.

• dragonlilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think im good then! The trees produce fruit on the new growth. That's such a relief. I did take the limbs he cut and planted them in pots. They are doing great! I have 6 little fig trees in my greenhouse, and the smallest already has two little figs.
    Thank you so much!

• cis4elk
    11 years ago

You probably want to remove those little figs, your baby trees need all their resources for growth. Fruit production will weaken the plant when it's not yet well established.

• dragonlilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay will do. Thanks for all your help. :)

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

can you send me a few of those cuttings if I pay you for the shipping?

• th102
    11 years ago

can I prune my fig tree now (live in NYC). I see little buds on the end of the branches. I didnt prune in early winter like i usually do. Afraid tree will be extra big this year but dont want to damage tree. Thank you!

• th102
    11 years ago

can I prune my fig tree now (live in NYC). I see little buds on the end of the branches. I didnt prune in early winter like i usually do. Afraid tree will be extra big this year but dont want to damage tree. Thank you!

• stepandfetch
    11 years ago

I know a friend that had a large Brown Turkey tree. His wife hated the tree, he loved it. At one point, she sprayed it with RoundUp. It died down to the ground, and the next summer it grew back up to its previous height and then some. My point is that once these trees are established, they are very hard to kill, and there is no need babying them. just my opinion.

• th102
    11 years ago

will tree still grow leaves and figs if i trim it now . It is late march in nyc and I would like tree to have leaves and fruit this year. Worried it will be too big if I leave until winter. It is approximately 10 foot tall now and at least 6 foot wide. Thanks for the help

• thisisme
    11 years ago

th102 now is not the ideal time to prune your tree. Having said that. It will still leaf out and produce fruit if you prune it now. The longer you wait the more sap will be flowing thought the tree and the tree will lose more of its energy due to losing more sap. Keep in mind that pruning while the tree is no longer dormant will be a shock to the tree. Thus it will likely appear to stop the active growing process for 1-3 weeks. Your fruiting and ripening cycle this season will also likely be delayed/slowed by roughly the same amount of time.