Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alsfigs

Trading

alsfigs
16 years ago

I have many Edible-Landscaping Hardy Chicago cuttings that I will part with at pre-paid cost (i.e., shipping & handling). For me its been a good fig that produces well when I prune it as Herman has prescribed in this forum. I will include at least five of theses cuttings per shipment, depending on size.

As for trades, here is what I have.

I have a handful of the SalÂs that Gene got from Edible Landscaping years ago. It is not the Corleone version, but instead the version that Herman likes and the one I believe that Pitangadiego, Leon Edmond, and UC Davis have as well. (Jon and Leon, please chime in if IÂm wrong!)

I have a few Marseilles VS that Herman favors, a few Marseilles from Edible Landscaping (Saint Anthony?), and a few Celeste from Womack Nursery.

I have several cuttings of an unidentified fig from friends and neighbors. They got it from a French friend in Philadelphia. They do not know what the variety is or where their friend got it. They've had it since the late 1980's and it did die back to the ground only once since then--the last time it got below zero back in the mid 1990's (they do not protect it in the winter, but their site is somewhat sheltered in Bethesda, MD). Its mature leaves look somewhat like GeneÂs Sal's, Hardy Chicago, and Marseilles VS and, similarly, the fruit get very dark if exposed to full sun; they are very sweet if allowed to fully ripen, and are small to medium sized. The pulp has varied from reddish brown to very red. The eye is small to medium. It is very vigorous, productive, and gets quite large. They have had some difficulty keeping it in bounds (it could easily get to more than twenty feet, and does not stop spreading with its suckers). Its vigor made me think that it may be Herman's Marseilles VS, but I later noticed that the central lobe on the MVS gets longer than this one, or Sal's, or HC (MVS also seems to have the largest leaves). I don't have a lot of experience at identifying figs, and it may simply be one of the popular versions of Eastern Brown Turkey; however, it took many years of maturation to finally start setting reliable brebas (they start ripening before July Fourth on their huge bush), whereas I believe that EBTs are known to reliably set a good breba crop at an early age. Its breba crop is not nearly as plentiful as the main crop that starts in early to mid August. Flavor wise, I can't say it is outstanding. In fact, I give an edge to a fully-ripened Hardy Chicago, even though it is sweeter than the HC. What has impressed me more with this fig is its vigor, size, productivity, precociousness, and cold hardiness.

I also have Triple-Crown thornless blackberry plants that I can bareroot to trade for figs as well.

What I would like to trade for are any figs that are flavorful, cold hardy, early ripening, resistant to souring and rot, and that I donÂt have already (I have Paradiso, Negronne (Paradise Nursery version), Desert King, and the ones mentioned above). For example, I would like to trade for SalÂs Corleone.

If interested, please email me at "al dot forline at gmail dot com" ("spam resistant" spelling). I check this email address about four times a week.

Al

Comments (4)