Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do You Uncover Winterized Figs?

Posted by geoffs_ri 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 16:00

This has been a question for me for the past three years since I've had an in-ground tree in zone six.

My tree is housed in an insulated figloo (search archives for examples). I'm struggling with when to break it down and expose my tree to the elements.

Today we're hitting 70 and it's going to be 60s for rest of the week with night temps no lower than mid 30s.

I know we can't be sure about the weather, but does anyone have thoughts about this? Our last official frost date for gardeners is early May.

Thanks,
Geoff in RI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do You Uncover Winterized Figs?

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 23:18

I believe that as long as you have good ventilation or air exchange you can wait. But if you don't, you are at the risk of "cooking" the plant. What I mean by cooking is creating a condition that supports mold growth. This also causes the plant to awaken prematurely from it's dormancy. Maybe it's possible to open it up for those warm weeks like this one but still have the ability to cover it back up if it gets real cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here