Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Small Trees and Fruit

Edymnion
12 years ago

Random question, how big should a fig tree get before you let it start producing fruit? Or just sit back and let it decide for itself?

As in, if the tree is still fairly small, should I be pinching off fruit to get it to grow the tree itself better, or just let it do it's own thing?

Comments (5)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    12 years ago

does letting it go to fruit tax it in some way?

i trust it knows what its doing

in nature im certain the fruit would be eaten anyway,right?

• King.Fig
    12 years ago

IMO, the question should be "how big (mature) should the "root system" get before you let is start producing fruit?".

Small (young) trees usually do not have a good enough root system to properly support fruiting. If you allow too many figs to grow on a "young" tree, come winter they often will be killed to the ground and,in some cases, they will be completely killed. This is because the small tree used up too much energy in trying to ripen those figs. It is not worth it trying to ripen figs too soon on a young tree. A set back in one year's growth or complete loss of the tree is at risk.

The first year in the life of a small (young) fig tree should be devoted to producing a good root system. A good system is vital in order to support a larger tree mass which can produce and properly ripen a good fruit crop.

After years of experience, I have "painfully" learned that it is best to REMOVE ALL figs from a young fig tree (i.e. the first year after being planted in a pot or in the ground). AND I have also painfully learned that leaving too many figs on a larger fig tree can also cause the tree to be very susceptible to being completely top killed.

There are many variables that can dictate the final results. However, you were seeking a quick rule of thumb. So, remove all figs the first year and allow your young fig tree to concentrate on developing a good root system. You will be amply rewarded in subsequent years for doing this very painful procedure of removing all figs the first year.

FYI, this past winter I have lost a very rare 10 inch tall fig tree to my leaving just one fig on the young tree. And I knew better........but, I wanted to taste one of those figs so bad.

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

I agree largely with King Fig. I would add that it depends on your climate to some extent. Since you are zone 7, that is suboptimal for figs. Any tree you grow will be limited either by colder winters than it likes or being subjected to constrained growth in a pot. Yes, many people have success growing in that climate through various methods. But it requires more intervention.

If you were in zone 9, you could just plant the tree in the ground and let it "do its thing" and you'd probably be OK (though not always). A young tree in zone 7 might not have the energy to ripen the figs properly before the first frost anyway, so you're really not helping yourself by asking it to spend energy on multiple fruit. If you've got it in the right soil, in the right size pot (or in the ground and protected properly for the winter), and the root system is strong, maybe you can try to get it to ripen one. But it probably won't taste as good as fruits in later years anyway. So not sure you'll be pleased with the results

• King.Fig
    12 years ago

What I have described above can and will happen even in a zone 9 climate. Nip those figlets off the first year even in zone 9. This is good sound advise coming from an experienced fig grower.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    12 years ago

awesome info thanks :)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner