Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New member with questions.

Posted by noellesdad 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 16:17

Hi everyone, I'm noellesdad, pleased to meet you. I've enjoyed reading here for a bit and I have a few, maybe more than a few questions. If you feel like answering one of them, none of them, or all of them, any help would be great.

Currently I have 10 trees, 9 are potted and one planted a week ago. They all seem to have survived winter, and the planted one is starting to break buds already.

My questions...

1. One tree I have has a plant marker with 8L22H written on it, anyone know of this? The person I got it from couldn't remember where it came from.

2. I currently have a bundle of cuttings coming to me, 25 of them, some of which I want to use to start a privacy fence on one side of my yard, italian red variety, ..
How far apart should I space them, and how deep to dig the holes?

3. How big can a fig plant grow in it's first year with reasonably able care?

4. Does anyone know where I can get a mature potted tree that will fruit this year in the Philadelphia region? I'm actually about 50 miles north of there. (of one of the better tasting varieties?)

5. Does off the shelf potting soil have enough vermiculite, other loose stuff, in it to just plant in that or is it always better to amend it?

6. I fertilized my plants with some 20-20-20 I had laying around in my barn, mixed lite, 3/4 teaspoon to a gallon or better of water. Should that be ok to help the ones that might fruit this year do so?

I'll start with these questions, I'm sure I will have more.

Thanks for any help and again, pleased to meet you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New member with questions.

Treat yourself by taking a ride to Flemington, NJ, and go visit Bill's Figs, (908-806-4887). He will be glad to help you with all the questions that you have, and you can buy great trees from him, as well. One trip will do it all!

Hope this suggestion will help you.

Frank

o

Thank you Frank. I've contacted him and will hopefully be meeting up with him this coming week.

o

Glad to be of service. By the way, You-tube has a video posted of Bill and his fig trees.

Have a nice, fruitful visit...and happy growing.

Frank, from The Bronx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here