Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717033

Winter Damage on fig ,Left Exposed in New Jersey!!!!

User
17 years ago

Due to excessive cold in NJ,in the last 2 days,fig stems are split and probably dead!!!

Comments (14)

• johnsvmf
    17 years ago

Herman2,

A few questions; what variety fig is it, what if anything would you do differently, and do you think the roots are fine and will push new growth?

I would enjoy your answers since I live in a slightly cooler zone than you.

Thanks
    Vinnie

• johnsvmf
    17 years ago

Thanks for the answers. I will definitely winter protect my newly acquired Hardy Chicago next winter.

• chills71
    17 years ago

Herman...how cold did you get and what was the change in temperature that preceeded your change?

~Chills

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well Chills,it was only 0"F,but windy.
    It was close to 0,for about 3 days,and before it was in the 35 to 40 F.
    I think The Fact that it had close to 2 foot of manure at base,did not help but hurt the tree,in this case.
    I think if you cover with manure you have to cover the whole tree.
    What happen i think is that the roots get warm,and start pushing sap up in the branches,with more pressure compared if the tree was ,left unprotected,so that is why it splited so bad.
    On the other hand i am sure that all the rest of the tree down in the manure is in perfect healthy shape.
    And that is about 2 foot of branches going in all directions.
    A fig do not need more than 2 foot to produce a full crop of high quality fruits.
    I am talking in our climates.It is a lot easier to protect two foot than 6 foot.
    So next year i will chop it to 2 foot in the first place so i do not have to work so hard.regards

• FO876
    15 years ago

So herman how did this particular tree make out last yr and/or this past season?

Im in research mode for the best and easiest winterizing methods out there.

This yr I think I will be utilizing the chicken wire fencing and dry leaves or straw method.

• steve_nj8
    15 years ago

I used the wire fencing, leaves and plastic last winter (also in NJ) and had no damage at all. Worked like a charm. This year, trees are bigger so the cage might be difficult. Will try another method this year (not sure what yet).

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

I'm still trying to learn about Fig trees and what kind of temps. they can handle, if that tree of Herman's survived that kind of weather, then I'm not going to winterize my in-ground fig trees here in E Tx Z8

Cecil

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well:Guys:Even The branches wich you see cracked were not dead completelly,but only part.
    Also the lower branches you do not see in Picture,came out healthy with no damage.
    I trimmed it bellow cracks and in 2007,this fig produced a full harvest of fruits despite being more wide than Tall.
    Well I would like to worn you people to not let your gard down,and not protect other exotic varieties.
    It seems,Hardy C.,Sal's #1,Marseilles vs Black,Unknown #11,They all belong to a family of wild mountain trees,that resist best to cold weather.
    Best Regards

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Herman,
    I have saw where you call Sal's #1 is that the same as Sal's Corleone? and if so where does EL Sal's fit in?
    Or better yet could you tell me & others which Sal's is which or which ones are alike?
    I know it has been talked about a lot here and I'm still in the dark about it.
    The best to Ya
    Cecil

• girlfromthegarden
    15 years ago

Herman, when you say you "covered" the base of the tree (up to 2 feet) with manure, do you mean that you heaped manure (composted, I'm guessing) up around the tree without anything between the manure and the tree limbs, or did you wrap anything around the branches and base first (like burlap or insulation)?

I would like to put a fig in-ground next year here in Indiana, using one of my 2+-year container figs, and have a lot to think about in where to place it and then how to protect it in its first winter (of '09-'10) if I do. I have had access to a stable with manure compost and like the idea of heaping bucketfuls around the tree up to a certain height, then maybe wrapping with that bubble-wrap insulation material and anchoring down. But don't want to risk rotting the tree's limbs or encouraging rodents to burrow into the stuff and gnaw the bark, etc. Please describe your technique! thanks!

Sherry
    (the Indiana one :) )

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cecil:Sal #1,is EL Sal's ,While Sal's Corleone is a different Kind of fig.
    IT IS ESTABLISHED NOW THAT THIS IS THE CASE.
    Sal's Corleone is not yet Tried against the cold and rain and so forth.
    We will Know more as time goes by,about Sal's Corleone.

Sherry:I did not use any technique,I just Dump about 3 weelborow of Horse Manure around the tree.
    When you have about 50 cultivars in trial it is very hard to pay special attention to every plant.
    Hope this will help.

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

Sherry you can buy composted cow manure in 40 pound bags at Lowe's or Home Depot.

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Herman,
    Once again thanks a million, I trust your fig knowledge 100% I have made a trade with a FF member for a Sals#1
    So if I get the Sals Corleone cuttings I'm getting from you to root, and I know I can, I will have both Sals right here on this little farm.
    I will quit picking your brain.......for now!
    Again THANX
    Cecil