Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaglpus

Spring Time and awesome fig pictures

Good day, here are a few pictures of my trees. Those in my greenhouse broke dormancy in late February. Some trees have a few figs on them.

{{gwi:762349}}

{{gwi:762353}}

Here is a pic inside my greenhouse.

{{gwi:762356}}

I think the temp inside is around 83 degrees.

{{gwi:762359}}

Here is another pic inside

{{gwi:762360}}

Here is picture of my fig wall. These were inside my garage which is insulated with 2 windows.

{{gwi:762361}}

{{gwi:762362}}

These tub size trees were outside and I tried to bring them inside my garage before the temps dropped down to 25 degrees. I wrapped these at the base only and as you can see from the pics, some tips are damadged, but they survived.

{{gwi:762363}}

{{gwi:762364}}

These in the orange containers were inside my garage all winter. As you can see they have broken dormancy and are taking a sun bathe. All these trees are on wheels so later on this evening, I will be rolling back inside for the night. Today's temp reached 70 and tomorrow is suppose to be 74 and rain on Friday but sunny again for Sat and Sunday. Spring time means fig time. I have one Black Spanish fig that I had to repot into a large blue tub. I also had to pinch 3 of the tips. It had about 3 figs on it but was stressed from the small 5 gallon pot. Last year it produced some large tasty figs but only one crop. This year, I know it will produce 2 crops. Hope you enjoyed the pics. Cheers, Dennis

Comments (24)

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Holly Crape Maria I mean Dennis those look great I'm in FL and I have some that still have not leafed out I know it was a lot of hard work for you but the pay off is worth it ;)
    Thanks for taking the time to post
    Sal

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Dennis my hats off to you .
    Thanks for taking the time for snapping and posting them pictures its a real treat for me to see them.
    As for that greenhouse i have seen those in past online an its a nice looking one thats for sure, your plants look wonderful.
    Cant wait till weather breaks for good here,
    again thanks for posting those and please keep em coming when you have the time as they flourish . ; )
    Best Health
    Martin

• ejp3
    14 years ago

Snag, forgive my forgetfulness but where are you located? I see zone 7 but where? In any zone, nice job!

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Oh WOW! I'm speechless. I thought I was crazy about tropical fruit trees but you are more crazy than I am...lol. I am now also a fig member. I now own 5 fig trees...lol. keep the pictures coming.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sal and Martin. Is it a lot of hard work? You bet! In December and January, the temperature in the green house did reach 28 and 30 degrees many times. But once the temps outside started getting to the 60s, my greenhouse reached 70 so, I added the radiant heater set on a timer and thermostat. I added a wireless temperature/humidity gauge so I could monitor it from my office. When temps reached a certain number, the heater kicked in and kept the temps constant.

I had about 30 trees inside my garage but as temps outside rose, so did my temps in the garage. My garage is insulated not heated so the trees in there never reached 32 degrees. They did reach 40 many times though.

What I learned most is to use a moisture gauge. It told me when to water. Years ago, I did not use a gauge and I lost some trees even though they were in the garage. On some days, the temps in that green house reaches 90. IÂve got 2 Black Maderias and one Malt Black. The Malta Black took the longest to break dormancy. I know these types of figs require a lot of heat. So what I plan on doing is repotting them in an air pot and see how they grow. Martin I think I got one of the Black Maderias from you. Air pots are great but I learned a trick to keeping my soil mixture from falling out of the bottom. I cut a piece of weed guard the diameter of the pot. This allows the roots to still breathe and prune themselves. Thanks again, Dennis

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ejp3, IÂm located in North Carolina, western piedmont. Spring has sprung here; but we have one more freeze coming. I know it. So, IÂm being cautious bringing those on the wall and in my garage inside but I donÂt want to loose any trees. IÂll post more pics later. Be blessed, Dennis

• genecolin
    14 years ago

Dennis you really got it kickin. Great job and thanks for the photos. Like the rest I can only wish, one day maybe, one day.

From the bayou,
    "gene"

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Dennis it might have been Scott, i recieved my maderia from him and he propagated it from UcDavis scion.
    I cant get that greenhouse off my mind as i was just looking at them several days back out of curiosity, just i cant bring myself to getting 1 knowing i will be in a warm climate within 7 years barring any catastrophy's.
    Best Health
    Martin

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

I dont think you have enough trees!

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Jose! The Los Lunas Fig trees I gots from you off ebay are in the greenhouse. Look at the first picture....see the blue tub on the right? Well that's one Los Lunas. The other one is in another blue tub in the far back on your right. You can't see them that good but I'll show you later. Tonight, I'm building another quick table like the on the left so I can provide more air circulation and get some off the floor. I also have to build me a flat bed cart so I can roll those in my garage in and out of the heat and cool night air. I'll post more pics later. I also have to make some more of Al's mix and repot my Black Madeiras and Col de Dam figs. Dennis

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Dennis,

My hat is off to you!! You've got something to be proud of......very nice indeed.

Dan

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Dan! I got 6 more in the mail today that I forgot I ordered 6 months ago. My greenhouse is getting FULLLLLLLLl!

• keepitlow
    14 years ago

WOW! Thanks for the inspiring photos!

I got 6 figs and hope to have a total of 8 soon. That is all the room I have for potted figs...well...maybe I can sneak in 9?

• paully22
    14 years ago

Great head start Dennis. Please keep us posted. My trees are still in the garage. Thus to all those I promise cuttings or my extras, please have a little more patience. My garage is indeed a fig jungle of branches & pots. To get to specific variants I have to move this & that over.

• donnaz5
    14 years ago

Question about the 2nd picture..what are the pots with the diamond like pattern on them, and what are the blue discs attached to them? thanks, Donna

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Donna, those are Air Pots, some call them super pots. They are expensive. They do an excellent job providing more air to the roots. The roots grow outward throughout the pot towards the holes. These pots provides more air to the roots making the tree grow faster. The pot has indentations and holes all around it. The pots in the picture are 1 1/2 gallon size. You do have to water these more than others because the soil is exposed to more air due to the holes. I have to water these trees every 2 days plus my soil is fast draining. So I have watch the trees daily. The bottom of the pot has a disk and it also has long holes. Some say you loose more soil with these pots but I don't. I add a piece of weed guard at the bottom of each pot. The weed guard is very breatheable and allows air. By fast draining I mean my soil mix only has UPM, water saver (pine bark fines), cow manure, mushroom manure, perlite, turface and lime. I use to use MG but it was too dense and held too much water. Now, I just make my own soil. The pot is held together with the blue/green screws at the top and bottom. I also have some 3 gallon pots that are not shown in these pictures. I use these pots for small trees that I want to grow fast. I also use these pots for hard to grow cultivars like Black Madiera, Malta Black and others. I like these pots. They store well and are reuseable. My Black Madeiras are growing faster than last year and it is only March! Thanks, Dennis

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Dennis Thank you for the in depth explanation of the air pots and your observations on their functionality This is very useful info especially for those slow growers
    Thanks again
    Sal

• girlbug2
    14 years ago

Wow Dennis you might have just saved me some major $$$! I had one of those air pots, only it was sold to me in a much bigger size as a strawberry tower. It didn't seem to work very well so I tossed it into the trash the other day. Good thing the garbage doesn't collect until tomorrow morning! I might try it for bananas or something.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Girlbug, keep the pot. Just wash it and let it dry. Don't worry if you don't have any green screws. Those dudes are hard to screw in the pot anyway if you don't have a tool to get it started. You can use those black plastic click ties to secure the pot closed. SOmetimes those black ties are called riot wraps. Plus the black ties blend in perfect with the pot. These pots are in my greenhouse now but in a few weeks its going to be too hot for them to be inside. I'm in the process of clearing the sod in front of my greenhouse and put down 2' by 2' pavers and pour sand in between them. So whenever I move the large pots around I don't have to worry about them getting stuck in mud. Plus I can walk out from my deck to the greenhouse without getting my feet totaly dirty. I'll post more pics tomorrow. cheers, Dennis

• donnaz5
    14 years ago

Thank you Dennis for the explanations...I ggogled air pots and just got a bunch of thermos type containers for beverages....where did you get them? Thanks, Donna

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna here is where I get my pots: http://perfectroots.com/. I mispoke above, my pots are not 1.5 gallons, they are 2 gallon pots. To order pots, click on the Availability and Purchase Info a few rows down from the first paragraph. They sell out fast. I got mine in December. At that time, they were out of the pots I wanted. Good luck with your order.

• donnaz5
    14 years ago

Thank you, Dennis, I will be checking these out...you are right about the expense, but for a large tree the price isn't really too bad, especially if they enhance the root growth as the seller claims...very interesting! Donna

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

snaglpus,

Reviving an old thread. Would you suggest the 3-gallon for figs?

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi, paully22:

Just courious, could you please tell me the varities of fig tree you have?
    Thanks!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?