Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wy is my Kadota fig so puny?

Posted by bossyvossy z9a, TX (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 17:08

Years ago I bought a tiny Celeste fig and luckily I planted it in a place where there was plenty of room. I never dreamed it would be so big! Later on I planted 2 Kadotas and they both have been puny, puny. They get same care. Has anybody experienced similar? I figured if one cultivar grew big, others would, as well. Exception being those growing in containers, of which I have one--Panache. Rather puny and poor producer as well.

your comments are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wy is my Kadota fig so puny?

Bossy, my 2 trees in N. J. are 9 and 7 feet tall, if I was to guess at your question, it would be maybe too much sun, and giving it partial instead, like 6 to 8 hours. My Kadotas supply me with top notch figs, it's worth the patience, wish you well with it, Sergio in zone 7.

o

Maybe they weren't healthy to begin with. A picture is always helpful.

o

here is a pic of my puny kadota. it was planted 2 springs ago and today it looks almost the same as when it was planted. it is healthy but, compared to my Celeste which got huge in 2 years, I consider the Kadota a puny tree. why?

o

That little ID tag near the base sure looks fresh for being out in the elements for two years bossyvossy. Just sayin.

If it were my tree and it really has been in the ground for two years I would do several things. First off I'd get rid of the stake. I would mulch it heavily and fertilize with fish emulsion. Is the ground compacted around it? Is it clay soil? Might not hurt to dig it out and re plant it a little higher in a raised mound and mix some compost in with the soil when you build the mound. Then mulch it heavily with wood chips or straw to keep the roots cool and damp in the summer heat. Sometimes when new trees are planted in heavy clay soil they will sit like that.

Finally, If it hasn't put on at least a foot of new growth by the end of this season...toss it and get another one.

That's what I'd do.

o

I agree with all that. The stake is treated wood, could be leaching some unhappiness to the tree. If you feel you really need to stake it because of extreme wind, use untreated wood, metal, or bambo, and get it a little farther from the tree. Maybe use two stakes, farther apart and run a line between them or a seperate line on each. Just be sure to use something soft around the tree like cut hose or rubber coated plant tying wire sold at nurseries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here