Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fig trees in astoria,ny

Posted by marius67 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 17:26

Hi everybody,i've been in nyc,in astoria for the last three days,and...being a fig lover,i was very impressed about how many fig trees(not bushes) i've seen on almost every street or gang,or garage drive...
(i'm from cleveland,ohio),but nobody knows exactly what kind of fig(name) got on his back yard.Anybody,here on this forum knows what greeks varietes are here,in astoria,queens,brooklyn??? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig trees in astoria,ny

Marius, with Astoria NYC, being a very ethnic (Greek and Italian)area and having grown up there, I can attest that many of these trees you see, originated from cuttings brought in from Italy and Greece. I doubt many of these owners know the exact variety they have, other than white or black, etc.. You can wait till you see the fruit ripen and ask the homeowners if they know the name and possibly if they'll let you have a fig and a leaf to identify it. Take a picture of the leaf, the whole fig and then cut the fig in half and take another picture, use a quarter for size reference. I doubt they'll refuse a small cutting, if you ask nicely.

You can post the pictures here and start to get some details about the variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here