Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone brave enough yet

Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 17:33

to start moving their big figs outside?

I keep wanting to, but then I remember its just MARCH...

I have a feeling some of them will make it out this weekend, regardless.

~Chills

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone brave enough yet

LOL. Mine have been out since mid-Feb. But then I am in South-Central TX. And my in-ground trees were never covered :-)). Good luck!

o

I moved mine outside yesterday here in Chicagoland, all 48 of them. I figure if it gets cold again I will just move them back in.

o

Most of mine remain in the garage, but I actually planted three in the ground over the last couple of weeks.

Temps are supposed to be in the low 30's tonight. Wish me luck...

o

I moved mine outside last week. I only have one large (10 gall pot) so if I need to bring it back in (and I am sure I will) it will be easy. The leaves were starting to unfurl, I figured it would be much happier with some sun and rain. It is!

o

I think that for the ones that are already starting to leaf out, it is the right thing to do. That way the leaves will adjust to full sun and not have any issues going from darkness to light.

I keep waiting for the forecast to change but it's still in the 60s and 70s 10 days out, and only mid 40s at night. So maybe this is it for the winter? Either way they will benefit from the extended season, and if I have to bring them in for a few nights, that's no biggie

o

Mine have been outside for a week or more. I keep bringing a few out at a time. Its a challenge with around 75 figs to bring outside. I've even planted a couple larger ones outside for the first time. Spring is here to stay......I hope. :-)

o

I couldn't resist as the weather is just to darn warm. I brought the container figs outside about a week ago. I also uncovered and stood up the inground fig trees. A couple of days ago, I planted the small containers (with holes on the sides so roots can spread inground). They are leafing out already here in CT. I keep a close eye on the weather forecast and am prepared to cover them if the over night temps get down into the upper 30s.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here