Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

When is the best time to bring potted fig out?

ch3rri
13 years ago

Hello everyone. At what temperature is the best time to bring potted fig trees out? I live in zone 6. The weather here goes up and down to 30F at night. Thanks

Comments (7)

• nypd5229
    13 years ago

For me just about when it stays consistently

Day 55-60 and above 40 at night- you want to be wary of losing any brebas or new growth- frost will kill it all.

Otherwise you will be constantly shuffling in and out.

If not by April 15, then around Tx Day I may consider bringing in and out but I have a warm area in front that faces south.

Last year I was bringing in and out in mid March but that was above normal weather

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Keep your tree quiescent - as cold as you can w/o exposing it to temps more than a couple of degrees below freezing, for as long as you can. There is no advantage in having them in leaf earlier than (mulberry) trees in the landscape. They are going to leaf out too early anyway, by virtue of the fact that soil temperatures warm sooner in pots than the earth warms in spring. You can't avoid that w/o refrigerating them, and who does THAT? Soil temperature is the stimulus behind the initiation of the spring growth flush.

Al

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will keep them in the garage until mid April to be safe.

• recoil_rob
    12 years ago

I'm in Z-6 also and mine came out of the garage on Monday, 4/25. a bit late but one of them already had a 1" fruit so my hand was forced. I think we're safe now but you never know. If it looks like there may still be a frost I'll just cover them for the night.

• gorgi
    12 years ago

>>> When is the best time to bring potted fig out?

It depends...

(a) Dormant and cold-garage wintered figs should be
    bought when local trees/shrubs are first seen to break;
    leaves or flowers e.g. maples and forsythia,
    (caution; some late frost may develop -
    just overnight-cover or bring them inside).

(b) In green/house grown (full leaf figs) can be brought
    out a little later (no frost possible); BUT, they need to
    be hardened-off against the Sun-UV, by placing them in
    (semi=ok) shade for about 2 weeks.

• cath41
    12 years ago

I'm about the same zone as you and usually bring them out about April 15 from an insulated but cold garage. This year was almost a week later. Basically it is a compromise or balance between getting them out before the leaves expand (preferably at all but certainly before complete expansion) and after the hard frosts which can set them back or kill them and when life allows.

Cath

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I took all my potted figs out around April 15. They've been out and doing great. Some already formed bebra figs and some leaves growth. Can't wait to taste some of the bebra figs.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm