Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devilpup_gw

Fig dried out, not sure if it's alive

devilpup
12 years ago

I live in zone 8a, in a high desert environment. I planted a Kadota fig tree in the yard last October and watered it every week while it was still warm, then every other week once it got cold. Now the days are in the 50's - high 70's, with the lowest nights we got this winter down into the mid 20's.

I went to check my fig the other day and to see if it was flexible I tried to bend the top. Instead of bending, it just completely snapped as if it was a tried up old twig. Inside the stem was a white core with a light-green rim around that, and bark over that.

I have no idea if this tree is still alive but would it be possible for a fig to try out like that and still live? Would it have done that if maybe the young tree got too cold?

I keep reading about how some trees will die back to the roots, so I guess somewhere in my head I'm hoping that the roots will be good and shoot out a new tree this year but I don't know if that's wishful thinking.

I really wanted to make that fig grow up nice but the fact that it dried out and snapped like that makes me pretty bummed.

Comments (3)