Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaist

Closed eye varieties

bonsaist
14 years ago

No doubt that closed eye varieties are suitable for the humid and rainy climates. Many beginners find it hard to find a list of closed eye varieties. In your experience which varieties do you know have a closed eye?

Comments (11)

• wildforager
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

my strawberry verte has a closed eye.

• genecolin
    14 years ago

Of course the Belle of the South "Celeste" is the local favorite in Louisiana because of it's closed eye and sweetness.
    "gene"

• herman2_gw
    14 years ago

Totally closed eye does not exist!
    _Some figs have when ripe a very small open eye wich measure,from:.5 to 1 mm. They stop insects from going in .EX:Celeste,Gino's fig,Mission,Malta black,143-36,Scott's black,LSU Purple
    These are usually refered as closed eye varieties.
    _Then there are small eye varieties,wich have an eye from 1 to 2 mm ,and solid interior,EX:Verte,Hardy Chicago,Sal (both),Marseilles vs black,Stela,Paradiso Gene,Atreano,Tacoma violett,etc
    Almost no souring, Only in the haviest,rain,and only very few,and far apart.Insects do not get in.
    _And third come the open, large eye,that is open only at the surface and solid,(interior) immediatelly after about 1mm deep.
    These are just as good in rainy climates as closed eye fig.
    EX:English Brown Turkey,DFIC 17 ucd,Guilbeau,Sweet Georg, Weeping Fig,Late Black
    _The forth is the open eye that closes down before ripe with a plug of clear amber. Also doing well in rain.
    EX:Alma,LSU Gold
    =====================================
    _Last,are the open eye figs,that have large eye and a large interior cavity,that comunicates with the entrance hole.
    These are very bad in rainy climates.
    EX:Brunswick,California Brown Turkey.Will sour very easily from any small precipitation,or humid day.

Insects will get inside any time trough the eye.
    Fig black beetle love this type of fruits to congragate inside.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Herman2,

I will not argue with your fig trial observations as you are very observant about the cultivars that you grow. Likewise, I am very observant too and likely will have much more to say about the eye characteristics of the cultivars that I grow after I've had a few more years of observation.

Dan

• herman2_gw
    14 years ago

Dan:I posted this last post coping it from the other fig Forum.
    Celeste is the closest eye of any variety,I agree with you.
    It is just when I looked with a magnifing glass I could see a very minuscule opening that is not seen with a naked eye.
    That is why I said that even the closed eye varieties have a very small minuscule opening.
    Of course it is a huge difference between a few microns,and 6 mm,that some varieties have.
    H2

• scott_ga
    14 years ago

Very good information Dan and Herman--with the rain we can have here, mostly closed or sealed eyes are important. Glad to know I can count on my Celeste, Hunt, and Alma. Peter's Honey has an eye blocked by what I think is thick honey. Sticks pretty well thru light rains.

Scott

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Bass, thanks for starting this thread. Dan and Vasile, you guys are a walking wealth of information. Varieties that are rain tolerant are very important to my area here as well. Tim

• gorgi
    14 years ago

No question about small/(closed...) eyed figs being desired
    for humid/insect coditions.

But let us not forget that that eye (hole) has a very
    important function for the fig fruit. At the right time
    that is where the famous fig-wasp exits (caprifig) and
    enters (common fig) to do its thing, aka caprifation
    and therby us having that many differnt fig fruits.

As for the Brunswicks, I think it is more than just
    the eye? I think the skin itself acts like a "sponge"
    to moisture and making sour it so easy while-ripening.

As for insects, I (only) have 2 kinds of annoying ants;
    not knowing the names:
    (a) 1-2 mm long small golden colored little buggers
    (b) 2-3 mm long black colored other suckers.
    Even if the eye is "zipped", they tend to tunnel thru
    the skin for that sweet juice inside...

• herman2_gw
    14 years ago

I also have no more fig beetle from when I stopped growing Brunswick.
    But I did have them on Brunswick.
    They are very small almost round beetle bugs,that one will find inside the fruit when the fruit is opened up.
    They are shorter than a small ant but round like a half ball,and black.
    H2

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

A few more variables that have to do with fig "splitting" and souring.....are the THICKNESS and/or ELASTICITY of a fig's skin and whether or not the fig tree is growing in very moist soil when the figs are actually ripening. Not all fig skins have the same physical characteristics. The skins can be quite different between different cultivars....and can react differently to rain/water as George stated.

Col de Dame White has a very thick skin (and a small fairly tight eye). Turns out that Col de Dame is one of the most rain tolerant figs that I have growing in my collection. It has fruited well for me during periods of very heavy rains AND with accumulated water beneath the tree!! The figs did not split and did not seem to absorb much water to dilute the taste. Perhaps this is because of it having the combination of small eyed and thick skinned figs.

Col de Dame White is a late season fig and my gulf coast climate appears to be long and sufficiently hot enough to ripen this fig to perfection. CdD-W is THE best tasting fig in my collection. It is rain tolerant, bug resistant, and extends my fresh fig season late into the year.... which I like. However, the verdict is still out on its productivity.

Dan