Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soft wood on trunk of fig tree

Posted by angelalisa 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 19:40

I took the burlap off my fig tree today and noticed that the trunk and some of the fat branches had bark missing from them. When I got closer I noticed that the bark was very soft in those spots. I didn't see any signs of ants or any other bugs. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how do I treat it? I appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soft wood on trunk of fig tree

was the burlap wet for very long?

o

Bacterial rot, when still wet the bark just slips off. The sun will kill all the bacteria. I have read that large fig trees should not be pruned for a whole year after the top has been killed. But it sound like you have a young one so I would prune off the dead top above where the new growth emerges from. It is going to send out all sorts of suckers so remove the ones you do not want early so you have the shape you want.

o

Thank you for getting back to me. We had a very rainy warm weather in Pennsylvania this year. So the burlap was getting wet. There are very few dead branches. I did read that with split bark you can trace around the wound and remove the bark within the traced area which will encourage the tree to callus over the wound. Have you heard of this before?? With the split bark on the trunk of the tree, I am afraid that ants or other insects will enter the tree. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here